Bliss | Teen Ink

Bliss

By Arjun Mehra BRONZE, Lake Oswego, Oregon
Arjun Mehra BRONZE, Lake Oswego, Oregon

She walked down the pavement, not truly knowing where she was going, yet not caring at all. People backed away from her, as if her pearl white cane possessed magic. Once again, a soft, silky, fur coat brushed against her leg as it had for the past week now, reminding her that she had reached her destination. 'Do you have a home? You poor creature.' Sorrow overcame her from deep inside as she reached down to touch the comforting yet mysterious kitten, and it vanished.
The lady was lonely, and anyone who had two eyes could see that. Love had filled her heart like wine in a goblet, but that feeling had long been lost from her memory. She went through life, day by day, not truly living and still alive, waiting. The next day as her rusty bronze key found its way inside the door handle, her ears popped as the deafening sound of gunfire arose a few blocks away. The door swung open and the terrified kitten dashed inside the house, followed by the lady.

The warm golden rays of light bathed the town on that day, that day that she dreaded and rued. She and her husband had been strolling around the block, cherishing the fresh morning air. She had gazed upon all shades of sapphire, lavender, crimson, emerald, and gold. Now she stood, a tear streaming down her face. Cursing the gang that had murdered her husband, she cautiously made her way to the kitchen; picking up the milk carton, she watched the opaque liquid cascade into a tin bowl. As she placed the bowl on the floor, she heard the sound of four paws near it.

She listened to the sound that cat made when it drank. She petted its smooth, soft fur that warmed her heart, and calmed her mind. The cat looked up at her, and licked her palm, resting its fragile head on her hand.

Staring into blackness, she sat down, and felt serene as indistinguishable thoughts passed through her mind. She now had a reason to go on; a reason to wake up in the morning with a smile, a reason to long for tomorrow. The feeling that life is too short. She had a something to love.

I wrote this peice because there are so many dark stories out there, i thought that i would write one about hope and love.

on Apr. 5 2009 at 1:03 am
Arjun Mehra BRONZE, Lake Oswego, Oregon
thanks for all of the great feedback u guys! u make me feel like a pro...

on Apr. 1 2009 at 3:33 am
Arjun Mehra BRONZE, Lake Oswego, Oregon
thanks for all of the great comments =)

Mandiella DIAMOND, Plaistow, New Hampshire

Don't waste time. Start procrastinating now.

This was very good. I loved it because I love cats and think they are so cute! You used very good description language, like "love had filled her heart like wine in a goblet" and "she watched the opaque liquid cascade". Keep up the good work!

on Mar. 24 2009 at 12:43 am
Author_ConstantineSeries GOLD, Richmond, Texas

“Reading without thinking is nothing, for a book is less important for what it says than for what it makes you think.”

I really like it! i think it's adorable. i really like the way that you don't tell much about he woman until quite late in the story, it really caught my attention, you've got an awesome way of writing, hope you do more, please check out mine to at TeenInk.com/raw/Fiction/article/93196/I-Dare-You/