Bliss | Teen Ink

Bliss

March 5, 2009
By Arjun Mehra BRONZE, Lake Oswego, Oregon
Arjun Mehra BRONZE, Lake Oswego, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

She walked down the pavement, not truly knowing where she was going, yet not caring at all. People backed away from her, as if her pearl white cane possessed magic. Once again, a soft, silky, fur coat brushed against her leg as it had for the past week now, reminding her that she had reached her destination. 'Do you have a home? You poor creature.' Sorrow overcame her from deep inside as she reached down to touch the comforting yet mysterious kitten, and it vanished.
The lady was lonely, and anyone who had two eyes could see that. Love had filled her heart like wine in a goblet, but that feeling had long been lost from her memory. She went through life, day by day, not truly living and still alive, waiting. The next day as her rusty bronze key found its way inside the door handle, her ears popped as the deafening sound of gunfire arose a few blocks away. The door swung open and the terrified kitten dashed inside the house, followed by the lady.

The warm golden rays of light bathed the town on that day, that day that she dreaded and rued. She and her husband had been strolling around the block, cherishing the fresh morning air. She had gazed upon all shades of sapphire, lavender, crimson, emerald, and gold. Now she stood, a tear streaming down her face. Cursing the gang that had murdered her husband, she cautiously made her way to the kitchen; picking up the milk carton, she watched the opaque liquid cascade into a tin bowl. As she placed the bowl on the floor, she heard the sound of four paws near it.

She listened to the sound that cat made when it drank. She petted its smooth, soft fur that warmed her heart, and calmed her mind. The cat looked up at her, and licked her palm, resting its fragile head on her hand.

Staring into blackness, she sat down, and felt serene as indistinguishable thoughts passed through her mind. She now had a reason to go on; a reason to wake up in the morning with a smile, a reason to long for tomorrow. The feeling that life is too short. She had a something to love.

The author's comments:
I wrote this peice because there are so many dark stories out there, i thought that i would write one about hope and love.