Uknown Trip | Teen Ink

Uknown Trip

March 5, 2009
By Anjel SILVER, Centralia, Washington
Anjel SILVER, Centralia, Washington
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The bell ran at 2:30pm, letting high school students flee form their seats. Alex was one of the first to exit the building and to leave the school grounds.

He headed down the street to his best friend, Jewels house. First day of track practice and she was no where to be found. Every year he would find Jewel on the first day of practice waiting in the gym thirty minutes early. That's why he didn't understand where she could be. Being sick was out of the question, since the last time she was sick was elementary school.

When he reached her pink door, that he and Jewel's painted before they started high school two years ago, he knocked on the door as he felt a rain drop. Jewel's mother opened the door with a frown.

'Hello, Alex. What are you doing here?'
'I'm looking for Jewel. Track started today and she wasn't at school.' Jewel's mother looked at him confused. 'I thought Jewel told you. She's leaving for two weeks to her fathers.'
'Leaving? Can I see her before she goes?'
'If you hurry to the bus station. Her bus leaves at 3:15.'

Alex looked down at his watch and nodded, 'Thank you.' He turned and started to jog down the street as he felt another rain drop. He looked down at his watch and saw that he had only fifteen minutes left. The bus station was at least another five minutes away and he knew there would be a traffic light a head taking his time that he needed to find Jewel.

He got to the light and waited. He could see the bus on the other side of the street. Passengers where outside waiting to board the bus. Once the sign singled him to go he was off. He saw Jewel standing under the shelter with two big bags on each side of her and a backpack on her back.

'Jewel!' he yelled for her and she turned around has spring rain came gashing down. 'Why didn't you tell me you were leaving?' he asked. Jewel who had a sad face opened her laptop that she had been holding and began pressing buttons. 'I just found out late last night,' she said as she handed over the laptop to Alex who looked confused. He read the e-mail that was in front of him from Jewels older sister explaining that their father was in a car accident and he had been asking for her. He handed the laptop back, 'How long are you actually going to be gone for?'
'Only a couple of weeks. I'll be back, I promise.'

Alex nodded, 'I guess you're not going to join track this year?' She shook her head with a little frown, 'No. I'm going to have to skip it this year. My father needs me. But when I get back I'll be at every single meet. That means you have to run pretty fast back to school to make it on time for practice. Alex looked over and saw the passengers boarding, 'I guess you have to go.'
'Yeah. Thanks for coming.' Alex smiled, 'No problem. That's what best friends are for.'