Mt Everest Climb

March 5, 2009
By Olav Underdal BRONZE, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Olav Underdal BRONZE, Kalamazoo, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Our small Dash 6 was shaking and bumping as it made a slow descent into Lukla Airport. We went around a mountain cliff and there it was: Mt. Everest . I felt the hairs raising on my neck as the tall jagged peak, pointing its snow topped cap as a tower into the sky, appeared in front of me. It was an absolutely amazing sight! Then suddenly the plane made a big lurch and we touched down in the small town of Lukla, right under Mt. Everest. It was a small little town with quite a few natives. We stepped into a little red car to take us to the place we would be staying for the next few days. As we drove, I saw little kids running around on the dirt road. Wow; I thought; how can these kids survive here? I am an adult up here and I have trouble breathing.

Twenty minutes later I stepped into my little cozy room I would be staying in until the helicopter took me to the mountain. The room was nice. I lay down, sensing the soft woollen bed sheets, and I could feel the mahogany frame on my finger tips. For dinner I ate a warm hearty soup with nice thick bread. By nine I was already exhausted .Tomorrow I would be checking my gear to be ready to go; within seconds I was asleep.

The next morning I was up at 8 o'clock . I had a quick breakfast and went to the storage room where all my climbing gear was kept. First I had to check if my pop up tent worked. I Went outside and then pulled a little string and wooooosh the tent came up. Great, I thought, it works. Next inside of it there was a little string. I pulled it and amazingly it pulled itself back together. By lunch all my supplies were ready to go. The next morning I woke up to a huge bacon and egg breakfast the natives had made me; This is a wonderful start of the day! I thought.

After breakfast I stepped into the same red car to take me back to the airport .The helicopter was already there, ready to go. I boarded the helicopter, and it took off . This was going to be my last time to see people for the next month or so. Before I knew it we were there . The pilot said he would not be able to land and would have to hoist me down. I strapped into a harness, and I was lowered down slowly. The wind was howling like a clarinet playing, and I was swinging from side to side. I was so freaked out. After some scary moments, I touched down on the ground. While I unstrapped my harness, the helicopter flew away. This was going to be a difficult climb!

Similar Articles


This article has 0 comments.


MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!