Pickles the Cat | Teen Ink

Pickles the Cat

By frgrimard BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado
frgrimard BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado

It had only been a month since his wife died. A man in his early 70’s walked down the narrow sidewalk down to the his local humane society. He had always wanted a cat, but Effie, TJ’s now late wife, had always been allergic. Now was the perfect time for him to find someone new to take care of. TJ was filled with anticipation, his heart pounded, his slow and steady steps toward a new moment in his life excited him.

TJ finally got to the humane society and he looked and looked. He didn’t want his mind to choose his new friend, he wanted to know which one was truly right for him in his heart, and leave it up to fate. It only took TJ closing his eyes, turning in a circle and pointing to a random cat for his heart to be set. It was a blue-grey british shorthair named Pickles, ten years old. He was was perfect! TJ pressed his face upon the glass case Pickles was held in, like a kid in a candy shop. TJ’s eyes welled up with tears, knowing his broken heart could possibly be mended at last.

TJ and Pickles walked home, Pickles being held in a carrier.  Pickles meowed and pleaded to be set free, TJ assured him everything would be fine, and that they’d be home soon. As soon as they walked inside TJ’s apartment, he put Pickles right on the ground. Pickles immediately ran up TJ’s leather couch and dug his feline claws into in, scratching and pulling up the leather. TJ yelled
     “STOP IT PICKLES!! That’s not yours to scratch at!”
     Pickles didn’t stop. TJ quickly pulled a new scratcher out of the bag from the humane society, and dumped cat nip from the same bag all over it. After one last shriek from TJ, Pickles ceased from using the couch as his toy.

That same night, TJ went into the kitchen to make food for both him and his new best friend, Pickles came trotting in the second he hear a tuna can open. TJ plopped the tuna into a bowl, and gently set in on the ground, then he continued to make himself a tunafish sandwich. Pickles quickly finished his bowl just as TJ had sat down to enjoy his meal. Pickles then proceeded to jump onto TJ’s lap, and to TJ’s surprise, Pickles chomped onto his sandwich and ran away under the couch in the living room. TJ quickly ran after him, and with his aged knees, he couldn’t get to Pickles. TJ sighed loudly and said,
     “I was too excited to eat anyways.”
     TJ sat on the couch and wondered what he had gotten himself into. If he could handle another living creature who to his understanding, couldn’t understand him. TJ could hear Pickles smacking and licking his lips from under the couch. The smacking stopped and Pickles walked out from under the couch, stopped to groom his face with his paws, then hopped onto the couch, curled into a ball, and fell asleep. TJ watched this happen with wide eyes, then he stood up, walked to his recliner, flumped onto it, pulled the foot holder up and dozed off too. TJ wasn’t able to sleep in the bed since his wife passed, it was too lonely without his true love by his side. 

TJ felt a ten pound weight plummet on his stomach, waking him up from his sleep. He then felt a strong bite on his nose, followed by the image of Pickles eyes nearly an inch away from his own. TJ sat up quickly. He looked at the clock on his wall, 2 a.m.. TJ picked Pickles up from his belly, stood up, and sat him down in his spot. TJ went back to his recliner, and fell asleep. Not even fifteen minutes later, the same thing happened. At this point, TJ couldn’t go back to sleep, so he turned on the T.V., with Pickles sleeping on him now. He watched T.V. until around 6 a.m., TJ’s normal time to wake up. With a yawn, TJ stood up, and scratched his patchy beard. Pickles fell to the ground, with a human like scowl. He hissed and ran away.

TJ walked to the kitchen and made his morning coffee. Then he walked outside to his small backyard to watch over his garden. Pickles ran outside almost knocking TJ over, and immediately started digging up TJ’s tulips, poppies, daisies, and everything in between. TJ knew his old bones wouldn’t be able to stop his demon cat in time for his plants to be saved. All TJ could do was scream Pickles’ name and hope for the best. Pickles didn’t stop. TJ released a large puff of air, and tried to hold back his tears. He and Effie had started that garden together in the months before her last day. TJ walked inside and sat at the table, wiping away his pain filled tears. In that moment, he wasn’t sure if he resented himself or Pickles more. Pickles then ran into the house, and jumped very high onto the counter next to the sink. Next to him sat the urn of TJ’s lost love. TJ peered over at Pickles, now pawing at the urn. TJ stood up and walked over. Pickles then swatted the urn, and before TJ could do anything, the urn fell with a loud clank, pouring all the ashes down the drain. TJ was devastated. He didn’t know what else to do than go into his room, and lay down on the spot Effie used to occupy.

That night TJ fell asleep on his recliner with the T.V. turned on. Pickles fell asleep in the same spot on the couch. Again Pickles woke up, and jumped onto TJ’s snoring belly. TJ woke up and patted Pickles on his head. Pickles swatted TJ’s hand away with his claws. TJ wasn’t surprised. He decided to let Pickles sleep on him, because he knew he wouldn’t win. TJ dozed back off. Pickles didn’t. Pickles walked up onto TJ’s face, and flopped his stomach, covering his nose and mouth. He then stretched his hands and feet and hooked his nails into TJ’s head. TJ woke up struggling to breathe. He tried to get Pickles off. Pickles wouldn’t budge. TJ wheezed and cried out for Pickles to stop. The air in his lungs quickly became thin, and he puffed out his last breathe.

Doctors ruled TJ’s death was caused by old age. His family came for his things, including Pickles. They had a nice funeral, and buried him next to his wife. Pickles was excited, because he had new victims, and his army of cats was going to take over the world.