Always be a man of completion | Teen Ink

Always be a man of completion

October 19, 2016
By SlenderW0W14 BRONZE, Battle Creek, Michigan
SlenderW0W14 BRONZE, Battle Creek, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Heavy set emotions don’t discriminate they will come for everyone and they come for all of us this is my testimony of a time I dealt with heavy set emotions. In this entire past year I have taken over the care of my 75 year old grandmother she came home last summer and was mildly ill. I took over the job of making sure that she went to her appointments and making sure she had the care she needed She needed a great deal more care than we had previously known.  My mother too helped out she would come over and help take care of her while I was at school and I would take over for the night. We later on learned that my grandma had end stage liver disease these words sent shock waves through everyone because no one knew how this could possibly be true and no one knew how it had happened but it took us a great amount of time to accept it and realize that it would only begin to get worse for a few months she was sent to a nursing facility those few months were very tough times because no one really knew what would happen while she was in there. There were lots of sad and hard moments where I feared I may never see my grandma alive again. Most nights were lonely and tiring never knowing if tonight might be the last night we saw her or if she would ever make it out of that terrible place but luckily enough she was able to come home and we continued to take care of her she needed even more attention than before which she gladly got and she was  taken to her appointments while I attended school and when I was on breaks I would even help out during the day but I had once again resumed my night shifts taking care of her things progressively got worse which was to be expected and even then there was a lot of sadness and worry because again we didn’t know the outcome or how much time we had left with her so each day was a special moment and had a memory to be made. Within the past month depression and grief have extremely set in my grandma had decided that she was ready to pass on and she wasn’t scared of it she was ready and knew it was her time to go so she decided to go into hospice care where regretfully we all knew the outcome of and we all had to accept most people didn’t want to accept this including me I was scared to lose my best friend even if I knew it was her time to go there were still so many things left undone and unsaid and she has recently passed which has brought down a lot of extreme grief and sadness out of everyone and these have been very trying times for everyone especially me because of that very special bond with which we had shared even if she isn’t here anymore our bond will forever stay in tact and I will never forget the wonderful things that she taught me and I could never begin to repay her but there is still a silver lining and glimpse of hope if it is only a small one she is no longer in pain and that is the biggest thing of importance to me.
“Always be a man of completion”


The author's comments:

This was written about my grandmother.