Nick the new guy | Teen Ink

Nick the new guy

October 12, 2016
By JaymaSchamp BRONZE, Mancos, Colorado
JaymaSchamp BRONZE, Mancos, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

There was this guy his name was nick. He was new, He looked like he was full of himself. He wore a jock jacket, Skinny jeans and white high tops. He didn’t have many friends though. He sat by himself at lunch and he didn’t talk in class to anyone. The principal walked in to let the boys know it was basketball season, Practice after school till 6.  Nick smiled, He loved playing basketball. Later that day it was time to go to the first practice of the season. There were other guys there and they all were huddled up talking and Nick just sat there and waited.
“ Alright boys! Line up and tell me your names.” Coach demanded
Ricky, Derick, Josh, Dan. They got to Nick and he said his name and over course Ricky commented. Ricky was full of himself he thought he was the best at everything.
Practice went on and Coach began to try out the boys. He ran out of time before he could try out Nick. Ricky and his friends did really good. Nick was kinda scared.
The next day, Ricky and his friends came up to Nick and told him he wasn’t good enough though they have never seen him play. Nick just ignored them. Soon enough it was time for practice. Nick began to get scared, What if he doesn’t make the team? Thoughts ran through his head.
“ Nick!”
“ Yes Coach?”
“ It's time to try out.”
Nick went out on the court. The boys were staring at him.
“ We will start with free throws.” coach exclaimed.
Nick lined up on the free throw line and he dribbled then shot. He didn't miss one shot. The boys were amazed. Ricky was mad because they were all giving the attention to Nick.
“ Good job Nick! Now lay ups.”
He made all his lay ups as well. Coach informed him that he made the team. All the boys were complimenting him and congratulating him.
“ Wow. Your really good. Did you play at your old school?”
Nick was happy he was on the team it was a good way to get friends. Ricky just stood there and looked at him as competition. Ricky always got the attention but now Nick does because he's an amazing player. The next day came and Nick went to go to lunch he sat by himself and the next thing he knew is that the table he was sitting at was filled with all the basketball players even Ricky. Nick felt like he had friends. Soon enough it was time for their first game. Nick and Ricky were both starting which is good because if Ricky wouldn't of started he would of been ad at NIck because he got to start. The game was a close call….There were 5 seconds left and Ricky had the ball he couldn’t move because it would be traveling. Everyone was blocked but Nick was open.
“Im open. Im open.”  Nick says over and over
Ricky sees that he was open but he didn’t care. Ricky went to try and shoot a half court and misses. There team lost by one point. Nick was right by the basket and Ricky didn't pass because he didn't like Nick. As soon as the game was over coach waited for them all to get into the locker room and began to yell.
“ There was no reason we should of lost. We were one point behind. Ricky you're lucky your not benched because Nick was wide open. He could of made it but u decided to shoot a half court. I'm so disappointed.” Coach exclaimed
The boys went home and had practice the next day. They had to condition extra because Ricky wouldn't work as a team.  Ricky was being rude like always. Nick went to talk to him.
“ Hey Ricky, I don't want no problems. If you don't like me just keep it off the court.” Nick walked away.
Weeks went by and it was time for a game. They were losing and Ricky was benched. The coach called a timeout.
“ Coach. Put Ricky in.” Nick said
Coach looked at Ricky and Nick “ Don't make me regret this.”
Ricky and Nick were both in. Ricky decided that he should use his teammates. They were working together.  They caught up and ended up winning the rest of there games for the whole season. Nick and Ricky became really good friends. They can't wait till next year to play again.


The author's comments:

I wrote this because when I lived in Grand Junction my brother played for the first year. People were rude to him but he kept going and he played for A,B and C. He shot a half court and made it and caused them to win.