Poached | Teen Ink

Poached

March 3, 2009
By Kira Latoszewski BRONZE, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Kira Latoszewski BRONZE, Kalamazoo, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The monkey's lunges blared as he let out a war cry. His beady eyes stared down at me from above, his nostrils flaring in distress. He was angry, but yet I was still incredibly fascinated by him. The way his rough fur glistened in the hot African sun. His long arms stretching from the strong limbs of the bamboo tree.

It was a hot day in Kenya, Africa, one of those days when you feel like your skin is a piece of steak on a grill. I was traveling through the deep rainforest when suddenly my Jeep Wrangler broke down.

'Oh no!' I thought.

I quickly checked my surroundings looking for the nearest town or a passing safari. Nothing. I was too deep into the lush green forest to walk without being torn apart by animals like the last piece of cake at a five year olds birthday party. I checked my cell phone. No service. I was stranded.

Don't panic! I thought to myself, whatever you do, don't panic!


The hot sun began beating down on me even worse now. I needed water. I needed cool air. I needed to get out of this forest. I grabbed the ponytail holder of my tanned, bony wrist and began pulling my beach blond hair out of my sapphire eyes. I walked around to the trunk of the Jeep and began searching for my water bottle. It was gone! I was stranded with no water, I was stranded in the hot sun, I was stranded and I was going to die! Suddenly, I heard the ruffle of vines. I turned around slowly to see the most beautiful ape. I reached for my camera and quickly took a picture. I had forgotten to turn off the flash! The monkey's lunges blared as he let out a war cry. His beady eyes stared down at me from above, his nostrils flaring in distress. He was angry and but yet I was still incredibly fascinated by him. The way his rough fur glistened in the hot African sun. His long arms stretching from the strong limbs of the bamboo tree. He was amazing! But also angry and ever so dangerous. I slowly began backing up but then the thought I have been blocking out popped into my head!
Where would I run to?


Suddenly, a gunshot sounded off. The monkey suddenly fell from the trees, landing on the ground with a THUD, causing the ground to shake violently. I whipped my head around to see who harmed the animal. There standing with a shotgun was the most hideous man I had ever seen. He has a big witch nose and buggy eyes.


'Bull's-eye!' He screeched, 'Your welcome, miss'


The words poacher suddenly ran through my head. Poachers were as dangerous to mess with as the monkey was. I need not to make him mad.


'Thank you! You saved my life!' I responded, my voice cracking



He tipped his hat, giving me that's-right-you-better-be-thankful look and climbed back into his car and began driving away. But not before I got his license number.



I need to get this monkey help!, I thought, bending beside the injured creature. The monkey was water on a cloudless day, still but still had some life in it.



But how could I? I was stranded!



The monkey's pulse raced as it struggled to stay alive, saving each sacred breath. He was dying yet I was still fascinated by him.