The Writing Contest | Teen Ink

The Writing Contest

October 12, 2016
By Anonymous

 It has been four days so far. Four days of fighting, stress, and determination. I entered into the writing contest a week ago for the school newspaper. When I entered, I had no clue it was going to be such a fight trying to get in the newspaper. My name is Crystal. I am a sophomore at Kingsford high school. For a week, I have been fighting with Karen to get my article into the newspaper instead of her. It has been a week, but this feud feels like it has been going on for years.                                                                                                                                              “I hope you know that your article is not getting into the school newspaper, Crystal.” Ugh Karen. Karen has a problem with her attitude. It has been the same since the third grade, always snobby towards everyone. In my mind, I like to think she is the most immature person that I know. “We will see, won’t we Karen.” I muttered in disgust. When I hear her name I immediately cringe. I think I should work on that. Karen and I are going to have another three days of this constant fighting because our articles are due in three days. Then this quarrel will hopefully be over, but as I said before, Karen has an attitude problem.                                                                    "Maybe I shouldn’t put that…”; I am having an internal fight with myself. I thought this would be a breeze, writing this article. Obviously not. I am spectacular at writing. It is definitely one of my strong points. I always enter into things like this. It’s what I am good at, but unfortunately, as much as I don’t want to say this, Karen is also good at writing. This time around, I am writing about the Solar System and astronomy. The title of my page is Deep into the Solar System. I am writing about this because it amazes me how much we know, but at the same time, how little we know.  Although I love writing, I am stressed out because I have yet to finish my article which is do in two days.
            This morning, I woke up with a good attitude, I was feeling over-all just happy. That quickly diminished when I saw Karen. “I heard around school that you have not finished your article.” Karen said with a devilish smirk. “That’s true I haven’t, but that just shows I spent more time on mine so it will be better than yours.” After that whole shenanigan, I went to the library, where I am currently. I am doing minor corrections to my article, which I spent hours finishing up last night. I feel as if a weight has been lifted off of my chest, now that I am finished. I still feel nervous though; excited too. I have a good feeling about my article. I think it’s going to drawl people in and capture their attention. Which is what I intended to do. ‘Today is the last day to submit your article.’ a notification popped up on my screen. I summited my article right after seeing that.
            “Bringggg, bringggg, bringggg”; my alarm clock rang. I woke up very excited. Today they will be announcing the winner of the contest. Not to make assumptions or anything, but I’m pretty sure that it’s me.  I think today I will wear something green so my eyes pop. Today is my day and I am not letting anything get in my way. I walked downstairs and grabbed an apple. Right now I am logging onto the computer just to see my prized possession, my article. My apple just fell out of my mouth, and I didn’t even now my eyes could open so wide as I stared at the screen.  “This is not my article!” I am so beyond furious. There is only one person who would sabotage another person’s article. Karen.
            The only thought running through my mind right now is ‘She better run when she sees me.’ Never before have I been so mad. There is one thing that makes me angrier than anything, it’s when people mess with my hard work.  This is no longer a little fight or quarrel. This is crossing the line and now I am mad. Keep your cool Crystal. Keep your cool. That is what I keep telling myself. That ended real quickly though, because when I walked into the lunchroom I saw Karen out of the corner of my eye. “And the winner is Karen M!” My heart dropped to my stomach. No it cannot be, I worked so hard on my article only for it to be sabotaged by Karen. Tears are threatening to spill out of my eyes. I am so sad, but more than that I am angry.
            Karen walked up the stage then looked at me. It was an evil look. An evil look that expressed she knew she hurt me. I stopped my tears and mustered up the dirtiest look I could possibly make. This had crossed all lines possible. “Until next time Karen.” I mouthed to her. Until next time.