Yellow Flowered Sandals | Teen Ink

Yellow Flowered Sandals

By Knicholson100 BRONZE, Newfields, New Hampshire
Knicholson100 BRONZE, Newfields, New Hampshire

Yellow Flowered Sandals

I was upset when my mom told me that I had to get rid of my yellow flowered sandals because I had broken the strap and they definitely did not fit anymore. I’d seen her pile them into a garbage bag, and wouldn’t think twice about them once the knot was tied. Weeks later when I would want to put on my favorite pair of sandals with the yellow flowers near the toes, I’d remember I no longer had them and wouldn’t care. What I didn’t realize was that those sandals stuck in that garbage bag were given to stores where girls without a favorite pair of sandals could now have some. I didn’t realize that those shoes were going to be passed down to others who weren’t as lucky as me. I didn’t realize that this meant no more burnt toes walking down a paved road, no more calloused feet. I didn’t realize that I was helping a little girl with her stylish outfit of a princess dress and yellow flowered sandals stand out out from her friends. I didn’t realize that these yellow flowered sandals matched a old yellow flowered bathing suit, and protected small feet from burning sand. I didn’t realize that those yellow flowered sandals stopped a little girl from getting bullied about her worn out sneakers. I didn’t realize that those yellow flowered sandals gave a little girl confidence to ask a little boy to dance with her at her kindergarten dance. I never realized that those yellow flowered sandals were going to be worn when out to dinner with her family. I didn’t realize any of this until I walked out of a shoe store with a brand new pair of purple polka dot sandals in my hand and happened to look down and see a little girl with yellow flower sandals and a broken strap.

For this piece, I wanted to write something that would connect to a lot of people who also used to do something like this when they were little. I felt like a lot of us used to donate our things and not know where they would go once they were gone. But with this, I feel like it gives you a glimpse of what your items can do for someone else.