Shattered Glass This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He slowly turns the pliers in his hand, curling the wire around itself. With one last squeeze, the next piece of his beach glass mobile is complete. It sparkles as he holds it up to the sun and translucent brown, blue, and green dance across weathered skin.

The soft sound of clinking glass echoes through the workshop. The small room is furnished with a table and a folding chair. Older mobiles hang from the ceiling, moving slightly from side to side. A 25-year-old fan sits in the corner, blowing softly, ruffling the pages of the book emblazoned with a cross that sits on the corner of the table. One framed photograph stands next to the book. It is of a younger man – brown bottle in hand, arms around a smiling woman – grinning into the camera on a picturesque beach. The photograph isn’t there for happy nostalgia. It is a reminder of what he has lost and what he still has to gain.

He pushes his wire-rimmed glasses up his nose and settles into the worn folding chair. He sifts carefully through the round-edged beach glass, looking for the right piece to attach next.

The browns and greens shine back into his eyes. He can still identify the color of glass that each beer brand used for their bottles. This green is for Hefeweizen, this brown for Budweiser. He wonders, as he always does, if these well-washed shards are from bottles he himself carelessly threw into the ocean.

The mobile is for his granddaughter, Andi. Her brother, Gordon, has a similar one – well, he does if Melissa hasn’t thrown it out. He wouldn’t blame his daughter if she had. She has every right to still hate him. She has every right to ignore his existence.

In his daydreams, the lovingly crafted mobiles hang over the cribs. Melissa and her husband might hate them but decide that the children need something of their only living grandparent. Melissa might use them as a lesson: never touch glass bottles; the stuff inside is pure poison.

Another piece is firmly attached, and he checks his watch. His meeting is in an hour. They are going to play cards. His wife loved cards. Every time they play at a meeting, he is reminded of how she had begged him to go to a meeting, to talk to someone, to call his brother, to play chess with Melissa, to take Max hunting for shells, to walk the dog on the beach, to feed the cat, to do anything but drown himself in a brown glass bottle.

He finds another piece of beach glass and carefully inserts a wire in the small hole, threading his past and tying it in a mobile to hang over his granddaughter’s bed, so she might know some day that he never meant to hurt anyone.

bowloforanges said...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 8:41 pm:
Lovelovelove!

Penelope This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 7:25 pm:
I like stories like that, but I can never write them. keep up the good work!

maki:p replied...
May 4, 2010 at 8:58 pm :
I am so with you there

maki:p replied...
May 4, 2010 at 8:59 pm :
well...mostly

katty said...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 5:34 pm:
Nice. Very thorough, tangible descriptions. It's touching, about the grandfather... Good job!

emilypear said...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 4:32 pm:
Thank you.

spitfire213 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 27, 2010 at 6:49 pm:
absolutely amazing! i dont think i've ever read anything so down to earth and touching.

krisssss This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 27, 2010 at 1:13 pm:
This is by far one of the most discriptive pieces of literature I've read. Your vocabulary is incredible and the way your portray the story is amazing. Please keep writing !

Jacobf2 said...
Feb. 27, 2010 at 9:15 am:
i love the way you capture the scene with your description, very well written.

blacktwilightfairy13 said...
Feb. 27, 2010 at 8:58 am:
WOW! that was beautifully written! you did a very good job with sensory details. i also loved the way you explained what the grandfather has been through in life and how his only family hates him.

juicyfan6 said...
Feb. 18, 2010 at 6:39 pm:
This is well written. Nice job. :)

sasssgirrrl22 said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 5:44 pm:
wow. this is truly amazing. ur descriptionz were incredible. So much that I had to remember this waz a fiction article lol. awesome job!

kittkatbar0676 said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 1:32 pm:
Wow... The emotion you crafted so expertly is amazing! It really...really makes one think. Well said! (& the descriptions are amazing!)

Lucky.Deviant said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 11:21 am:
The emotion in this is wonderfully put in. I love the story and the way you infer things like the glass bottles. Very nice, you truly put writing at it's best.

violingoddess said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 10:59 am:
I love the imagry used in this piece! good job, well done :)

~*TheDreamer*~ said...
Wow. I can't believe how much emotion and information you can pack into just that many words. Again another reason why I love writing :)

NotEnoughPaper said...
Simply put: Amazing!

BookWorm189 said...
Jan. 14, 2010 at 8:31 am:
This is simply beautiful!! I love the way it radiates emotion

krzykrys said...
wow thats amazing! the decription in the beginning was just so well explained.

AzureGal said...
It's flawless!! Another! Another!! =)