Shattered Glass This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He slowly turns the pliers in his hand, curling the wire around itself. With one last squeeze, the next piece of his beach glass mobile is complete. It sparkles as he holds it up to the sun and translucent brown, blue, and green dance across weathered skin.

The soft sound of clinking glass echoes through the workshop. The small room is furnished with a table and a folding chair. Older mobiles hang from the ceiling, moving slightly from side to side. A 25-year-old fan sits in the corner, blowing softly, ruffling the pages of the book emblazoned with a cross that sits on the corner of the table. One framed photograph stands next to the book. It is of a younger man – brown bottle in hand, arms around a smiling woman – grinning into the camera on a picturesque beach. The photograph isn’t there for happy nostalgia. It is a reminder of what he has lost and what he still has to gain.

He pushes his wire-rimmed glasses up his nose and settles into the worn folding chair. He sifts carefully through the round-edged beach glass, looking for the right piece to attach next.

The browns and greens shine back into his eyes. He can still identify the color of glass that each beer brand used for their bottles. This green is for Hefeweizen, this brown for Budweiser. He wonders, as he always does, if these well-washed shards are from bottles he himself carelessly threw into the ocean.

The mobile is for his granddaughter, Andi. Her brother, Gordon, has a similar one – well, he does if Melissa hasn’t thrown it out. He wouldn’t blame his daughter if she had. She has every right to still hate him. She has every right to ignore his existence.

In his daydreams, the lovingly crafted mobiles hang over the cribs. Melissa and her husband might hate them but decide that the children need something of their only living grandparent. Melissa might use them as a lesson: never touch glass bottles; the stuff inside is pure poison.

Another piece is firmly attached, and he checks his watch. His meeting is in an hour. They are going to play cards. His wife loved cards. Every time they play at a meeting, he is reminded of how she had begged him to go to a meeting, to talk to someone, to call his brother, to play chess with Melissa, to take Max hunting for shells, to walk the dog on the beach, to feed the cat, to do anything but drown himself in a brown glass bottle.

He finds another piece of beach glass and carefully inserts a wire in the small hole, threading his past and tying it in a mobile to hang over his granddaughter’s bed, so she might know some day that he never meant to hurt anyone.

BlankPage said...
Jan. 23, 2011 at 9:04 am
I loved this , it was really good :]

paige.ward said...
Amazing so touching.

GothChik95 said...
My family is made up of alcoholics so, this does hit home a little bit. I have been affected by alcohol's negativity so this does touch me. It was absolutely beautiful, thank you.

socrchik33 said...
Jan. 1, 2011 at 12:30 am
This was absoutely amazing. My older brother is an alcoholic so this really touched me. Thank you for writing this :')

J.C.Evans This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is the most beautifully written piece of work that I have ever read!

reenay_95 said...
this was so sad...

OriginalCarbonation said...
Dec. 10, 2010 at 11:26 am

j'adore cette

c'est magnificent

MRose911 said...
This is absolutely amazing! Positively BEAUTIFUL! Wow. I don't know what to say. This is just.... Wow. I could picture it all, I can relate it to many close people in my life, AMAZING!! You have a gift! :)

springdance said...
Wow. That was deep. I just got a vision of this character's life before my eyes leading up to the moment this story takes place. Great writing!

skyblue95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

Absolutely amazing. :) I especially liked the way it felt like I could connect with this character, even though I've never touched a drink in my life. Great job. Keep on writing!

And btw, anyone who sees this, I could realllllly use comments on my work please. Thanks :)

Rosey100 said...
wow that was amazing keep on writing

ebony_and_irony said...
Lovely. I loved how you turned the glass bottle which he used to hurt himself into something he used to help himself.

HMessinger said...
breathtaking... beautiful... im stll in awe. speechless.. <3

Roisin This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
amazing. really, really, amazing writing.

GuitarGirl92851 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 27, 2010 at 11:50 am
You can almost see the regret in the words on the page. I really feel like I understand this man when he wishes he hadn't been such an alcoholic. And you don't have to go out and say that he's an alcoholic, it just comes to be understood.

LilLizzyBeth said...
I liked this, I thought it had a good concept, and good emotions. Keep Writing!

Loversinjapan said...
Awesome. Stunning. Pure great. I love how you started the story in the middle and we had to ask "questions" but as soon as they came to mind they were answered. Coolio

I smell what you eat said...
Oct. 5, 2010 at 7:02 am
I think you ate turkey

TattooedSoulOfManyColors said...
Wonderful job! LOOOVE the discriptions :D

V-ballChick said...
Wow this is breathtaking and the emotions...wow