Shattered Glass This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He slowly turns the pliers in his hand, curling the wire around itself. With one last squeeze, the next piece of his beach glass mobile is complete. It sparkles as he holds it up to the sun and translucent brown, blue, and green dance across weathered skin.

The soft sound of clinking glass echoes through the workshop. The small room is furnished with a table and a folding chair. Older mobiles hang from the ceiling, moving slightly from side to side. A 25-year-old fan sits in the corner, blowing softly, ruffling the pages of the book emblazoned with a cross that sits on the corner of the table. One framed photograph stands next to the book. It is of a younger man – brown bottle in hand, arms around a smiling woman – grinning into the camera on a picturesque beach. The photograph isn’t there for happy nostalgia. It is a reminder of what he has lost and what he still has to gain.

He pushes his wire-rimmed glasses up his nose and settles into the worn folding chair. He sifts carefully through the round-edged beach glass, looking for the right piece to attach next.

The browns and greens shine back into his eyes. He can still identify the color of glass that each beer brand used for their bottles. This green is for Hefeweizen, this brown for Budweiser. He wonders, as he always does, if these well-washed shards are from bottles he himself carelessly threw into the ocean.

The mobile is for his granddaughter, Andi. Her brother, Gordon, has a similar one – well, he does if Melissa hasn’t thrown it out. He wouldn’t blame his daughter if she had. She has every right to still hate him. She has every right to ignore his existence.

In his daydreams, the lovingly crafted mobiles hang over the cribs. Melissa and her husband might hate them but decide that the children need something of their only living grandparent. Melissa might use them as a lesson: never touch glass bottles; the stuff inside is pure poison.

Another piece is firmly attached, and he checks his watch. His meeting is in an hour. They are going to play cards. His wife loved cards. Every time they play at a meeting, he is reminded of how she had begged him to go to a meeting, to talk to someone, to call his brother, to play chess with Melissa, to take Max hunting for shells, to walk the dog on the beach, to feed the cat, to do anything but drown himself in a brown glass bottle.

He finds another piece of beach glass and carefully inserts a wire in the small hole, threading his past and tying it in a mobile to hang over his granddaughter’s bed, so she might know some day that he never meant to hurt anyone.

writerfreak21231This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 17, 2011 at 11:44 am
I loved the story! and was impressed! Great job! It's so touching! (Sorry for the advertizing!) If any of u coulld read my two stories called the beast and nightstalker, that would be great! Also please post comments saying if u liked it or not. Thanks! And keep writing! :D

DontWorryBeHappy123987 said...
This work touched me. It was trurly inspirational and carries a lot of meaning behind it. It is also very emotional too. I would look forward to reading more of this.

thedancingwriter said...
this was chilling and beautiful! i loved it!

C.CRoxMehLifeeee:) said...
is ends the story in an amazing way, kinda like a cliffhanger, but kinda not. I love it :)

little-miss-mistakes said...
Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:31 am
That. Was. Amazing! for once it wasnt just another love story!good idea and excellent description!

AGirlWithAStoryToTell said...
May 13, 2011 at 11:44 am

Amazing! Simiply amazing, I love it and continued stop reading!

Please come and read my novel The True Freedom and give me your insight!

AGirlWithAStoryToTell replied...
May 13, 2011 at 11:45 am
Couldn't* (lol)

anonmyous said...

Drowning in a bottle, a moments peace another addiction. i'm so sorry.

i loved it! Deep meanignt hat touches deep down, the core. Truely art! 

cretalakaira This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
beautiful. i love realistic fiction, and this made it a whole lot better. thank you.

PaRaNoRmAl627 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
beautiful :) keep up the good workk!

riteren said...
Ohhh, and you just did a perfect example of SHow, don't tell! I love love love love love it! Without saying anything, you just said everything. It is perfect! Wow! A++++ and then some! This is a piece of literary art, and I sure hope you write many more!

Angel1234 said...
WOW. Nice job that was well written, this is a peicee of art.

skeet skeet replied...
ur mom is a piece of art lol;)

kailea replied...
hahahaha xD

CallieL said...
I like how you kept the emphasis on the morals. It was very well written.

Elizabeth_DayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like this.  It had great imagery and a deep theme.  Just remember to vary your sentence openers.  There were lots of sentences that started with the subject-verb format.  Try mixing it up with some dependent clauses or prepositional phrases.  Anyways, congrats on making TI's "front page" and keep it up!

MaysileeDonner said...

WoW, the whole time i was reading i kept wanting more and more. your vague style added a great atmosphere to the story and it was sad and beautiful at the same time

Amazingawesomeness replied...
This was such a good piece. I liked the sense that the reader doesn't know anything about the main character. You've got to work out the story by reading it.   Keep writing! 

Hiding.Boy said...
amazing piece, good job

RozaB said...
Jan. 23, 2011 at 10:07 am
Beautiful. Best piece I've read on teen ink so far.