Shattered Glass This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He slowly turns the pliers in his hand, curling the wire around itself. With one last squeeze, the next piece of his beach glass mobile is complete. It sparkles as he holds it up to the sun and translucent brown, blue, and green dance across weathered skin.

The soft sound of clinking glass echoes through the workshop. The small room is furnished with a table and a folding chair. Older mobiles hang from the ceiling, moving slightly from side to side. A 25-year-old fan sits in the corner, blowing softly, ruffling the pages of the book emblazoned with a cross that sits on the corner of the table. One framed photograph stands next to the book. It is of a younger man – brown bottle in hand, arms around a smiling woman – grinning into the camera on a picturesque beach. The photograph isn’t there for happy nostalgia. It is a reminder of what he has lost and what he still has to gain.

He pushes his wire-rimmed glasses up his nose and settles into the worn folding chair. He sifts carefully through the round-edged beach glass, looking for the right piece to attach next.

The browns and greens shine back into his eyes. He can still identify the color of glass that each beer brand used for their bottles. This green is for Hefeweizen, this brown for Budweiser. He wonders, as he always does, if these well-washed shards are from bottles he himself carelessly threw into the ocean.

The mobile is for his granddaughter, Andi. Her brother, Gordon, has a similar one – well, he does if Melissa hasn’t thrown it out. He wouldn’t blame his daughter if she had. She has every right to still hate him. She has every right to ignore his existence.

In his daydreams, the lovingly crafted mobiles hang over the cribs. Melissa and her husband might hate them but decide that the children need something of their only living grandparent. Melissa might use them as a lesson: never touch glass bottles; the stuff inside is pure poison.

Another piece is firmly attached, and he checks his watch. His meeting is in an hour. They are going to play cards. His wife loved cards. Every time they play at a meeting, he is reminded of how she had begged him to go to a meeting, to talk to someone, to call his brother, to play chess with Melissa, to take Max hunting for shells, to walk the dog on the beach, to feed the cat, to do anything but drown himself in a brown glass bottle.

He finds another piece of beach glass and carefully inserts a wire in the small hole, threading his past and tying it in a mobile to hang over his granddaughter’s bed, so she might know some day that he never meant to hurt anyone.

otherpoet said...
this was beautiful writing! you have such a way with words.

mountain laurel said...
so beautiful and so sad. the metaphors are a nice touch by the way :)

owl-girl said...
So beautiful. This is so sad but so peaceful. Could you please check out my work, Spirit Bound? It would mean a lot :)

StarChild said...
Can you take a look at what ive written? Maybe you can share a few pointers... Great work!!!

zadiekatie23This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 10:18 am:
Such a beautiful piece of writing. The words took you back to a simpler place, and the ending really brought it all together. Thank you for writing and sharing this with us. Beautiful and memorable.

Sammie.V said...
Well done. You used so much description. I loved it! :)

lonelyLaviathin said...
Oct. 14, 2011 at 11:11 am:
nice. what happened to his wife?

Jezebella_kut said...
Oct. 14, 2011 at 3:56 am:
amazing...

lexie lue:) said...

I want to read this book really badly.

It has very good descriptive words!!!

Job well done!!!:)

Sadie said...
Sept. 22, 2011 at 9:44 am:
Wow. This was amazing. I can't even think of words to discribe this piece of writting. This is really good :D

xSuicidexxAngelx said...

Wow! Just... Wow!

I'm speechless. One of the best things I've ever read <3 

HollerGirl26 said...
I've never been more shocked..more moved...more touched from reading a piece on TeenInk before...wow..that was absolutely exquisite! Perfectly worded, perfectly done. Enough said <3!!

LittleMissSunshine08_11 said...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 11:15 am:
...Wow... I am completely stunned into silence. That is a first for me. Wow.

TheAmazingJoysie replied...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 3:37 pm :

hey i remember reading a book with a passage like really similar to that but ur work is fabulous

SabrinaAnnFaith said...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 8:12 am:

THIS. IS. FANTASTIC.

Enough said.

wordjunkie said...
Aug. 9, 2011 at 7:48 am:
Oh my god. I absolutly loved it. I don't even know what else to say. I always look at the top voted stories, sometimes read them, and usually like them, but this was insanely good. Thank you. *favorites*

LifeWriteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 18, 2011 at 6:11 pm:
I could totally picture this in my mind!

TAR11 said...
Jul. 18, 2011 at 11:05 am:
Very Cool!  Please check out my stories if you get the chance. 

Eke0505 said...
Jul. 18, 2011 at 6:31 am:
loove it :) really creative, and really makes you understand how the character feels, as it is an original choice of point of view :) 

Anerio_Deorma said...
Jul. 18, 2011 at 2:23 am:

Impressive. Simply.

I am not poetic enough to realize the deepest levels of meaning in this story, however I get the gist of what your saying. That is a good mark.