Shattered Glass This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He slowly turns the pliers in his hand, curling the wire around itself. With one last squeeze, the next piece of his beach glass mobile is complete. It sparkles as he holds it up to the sun and translucent brown, blue, and green dance across weathered skin.

The soft sound of clinking glass echoes through the workshop. The small room is furnished with a table and a folding chair. Older mobiles hang from the ceiling, moving slightly from side to side. A 25-year-old fan sits in the corner, blowing softly, ruffling the pages of the book emblazoned with a cross that sits on the corner of the table. One framed photograph stands next to the book. It is of a younger man – brown bottle in hand, arms around a smiling woman – grinning into the camera on a picturesque beach. The photograph isn’t there for happy nostalgia. It is a reminder of what he has lost and what he still has to gain.

He pushes his wire-rimmed glasses up his nose and settles into the worn folding chair. He sifts carefully through the round-edged beach glass, looking for the right piece to attach next.

The browns and greens shine back into his eyes. He can still identify the color of glass that each beer brand used for their bottles. This green is for Hefeweizen, this brown for Budweiser. He wonders, as he always does, if these well-washed shards are from bottles he himself carelessly threw into the ocean.

The mobile is for his granddaughter, Andi. Her brother, Gordon, has a similar one – well, he does if Melissa hasn’t thrown it out. He wouldn’t blame his daughter if she had. She has every right to still hate him. She has every right to ignore his existence.

In his daydreams, the lovingly crafted mobiles hang over the cribs. Melissa and her husband might hate them but decide that the children need something of their only living grandparent. Melissa might use them as a lesson: never touch glass bottles; the stuff inside is pure poison.

Another piece is firmly attached, and he checks his watch. His meeting is in an hour. They are going to play cards. His wife loved cards. Every time they play at a meeting, he is reminded of how she had begged him to go to a meeting, to talk to someone, to call his brother, to play chess with Melissa, to take Max hunting for shells, to walk the dog on the beach, to feed the cat, to do anything but drown himself in a brown glass bottle.

He finds another piece of beach glass and carefully inserts a wire in the small hole, threading his past and tying it in a mobile to hang over his granddaughter’s bed, so she might know some day that he never meant to hurt anyone.

BridgetB said...
this is incredible! i love how throughout the piece small hints paint the big picture! It's heart breaking and heart warming all at the same time  

IssaK said...
This work had me mezmoried! I loved the idea of this peice. What made you think of it?

BirdYvette19 said...
Sept. 11, 2012 at 12:15 am
When you're in a not good position and have got no money to go out from that point, you would require to take the loan. Because that should help you definitely. I take secured loan every single year and feel myself fine because of that.

DifferentTeenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow, I have to say, I got a little lost in the story there for a while. Really just a captivating, inspirational piece. Very emotional, and had real depth to it. I hope I'm not the only one when I say I was a little sad reading about him losing his wife, and his grandaughter's parents not liking him. I wanted to know why they didn't like him, he seems likea really nice man. Wonderful writing, I loved it! If anyone has the time to check out my work I'd appreciate it!

. said...
The way you slowly integrate details into the background bring realization to the reader in a subtle but stunning way. The descriptions are something I want to think over and savor and they are absolutely beautiful. Keep writing!

Catthatbarks said...
I love how you implied something without actually saying it.

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 18, 2012 at 10:02 am
Nice! Wished there was more! :)

hobo12321 said...
May 21, 2012 at 9:01 am

really awesome peice of writing!

SilverSun said...
Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:51 am
Mysterious and beautiful. The lead was amazing because it really pulled me in, and your descriptions were beautiful. I love the vagueness of it. Good job!!

Athena19This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
this is really beautiful! The imagery is amazing, and I loved the flashbacks

Olliegh said...
You sound like a professional. I can picture exactly what you are talking about. Write on!

mollyb said...
Wow, wonderful way of using simple words to tell an amazing story:)

Dolly9471 said...
Love the message and story!  Keep on writing!!!

firecleansed said...
Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:00 am
Great use of simple words. The use of the words create a simple story. those are always the hardest to not read, learn from, and then make sure that you are doing what you need to.

JKaufman said...
Beautiful piece. I loved how the meaning of all the seemingly unrelated pieces came together at the end. Really good work.

SaRaHjEaN16 said...
This was very-well written. There was a lot about this man's life in this little bit of writing, but it wasn't delivered in a descriptive way. Very good Work!

ActressSingerAuthoress said...
I really enjoyed this piece. It was extremely emotional, obviously, and very engaging and relatable. The one thing I might change is the fact that it's in the present tense--that was disconcerting to me, especially in the beginning. Thank you for writing something so beautiful. :)

tinatinatina said...
Great read! Please read, I wish I was the Rain, my friend wrote it, it's great!

CeruleanNightThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
That was a really touching piece. I absolutely loved the way you wrote it. Even if you didn't understand a word you were reading, the piece would still move you because of your way with words. I hope I can write as good as you someday. Excellent piece of work.

CrazyNerdyFangirl said...
I like the descriptive language you used. :D