Accident | Teen Ink

Accident

By Etrim BRONZE, East Kingston, New Hampshire
Etrim BRONZE, East Kingston, New Hampshire

The bell rings.  Finally.  The last period of the day is over.  She is thinking about the mountain of homework she has to go home and do.  She has her senior finals to take next week.   On her way to her car her best friend Lizzy Grey calls out,  “Clara Jane Beckett!”  When Clara turns around Lizzy slams into her, giving her a hug.  “Happy 18th Birthday, girly!”
“Thanks, Lizzy.”  She said in response.
“What are you doing tonight?” Lizzy asks her cryptically.
“I have so much homework, and I have to study for the finals.  Then I having dinner with my parents and knucklehead brother, and then I have more homework. Plus I -”
“Whoa!”  Cutting her off, Lizzy asks,  “What’s he up to anyways?  And do you really have to do all of that tonight?  I was thinking we could go out to celebrate.”
“I don’t know.  But you never know with him.  He is always doing something stupid.  And yes I do really have to all of that tonight.  Sorry, Liz. I can't tonight.  But tomorrow works for me.”
“Okay we will do that then.  Love you, Clara.”

When Clara gets home, the first thing she does is grab a snack.  After eating a little she launches straight into homework.  She has a 9 page packet for AP Statistics to finish by tomorrow, that she starts with.  She moves through page after page of math.  When she reaches the end of the packet, she starts into an English essay that she has to write about the play Hamlet by Shakespeare.  She is half way done when the doorbell rings.  Curious as to who it might be she opens the door.  On the front stoop she finds two police officers with NYPD.  One of the officers addresses her.  “Miss Clara Beckett?”
“Yes?”  Clara responds confused.
“My name is Officer Jones, and my companion is Officer McNamara.  We needed to speak with you regarding your parents.  It is rather urgent.  May we come in?”
“Yes, Officers, please come in.”  She held the door open for them, then lead them into the drawingroom. 
“Clara - May I call you Clara?”  Officer Jones started out haltingly.
“Yes.  What do you need to know about my parents?”  Clara asked with a sinking feeling in her gut. 
“Well……….  Clara we have some very bad news…………  Your parent were in a car accident this afternoon,”  said Officer Jones.   He let out a big breath, very slowly.  “Clara they were both killed.  We offer our most sincere apologies for your loss.”
“Wait!   This can't be true!  They are supposed to be on their way home!”  Clara started to sob, barely able to draw enough air to breathe. 
“Clara, I hate to ask, but is there anyone we can call to come stay with you?  Our team is in the process of getting a hold of your brother Nate, but he won't answer his phone.  Do you have any idea where he is?”  Officer McNamara asked trying and failing to comfort her.
Clara replied haltingly, trying to hold it together,  “He is on his way here.  We were to all have dinner together for my birthday.”

Clara talked to the officers for close to twenty minutes, until the door opened.  Her brother Nate came in shouting,  “Clara?  Where are you?”  When she walked into the front hall and her brother saw her he asked,  “What’s wrong?  Why are there police cars in the driveway?”

She explained to him what had happened.  He leaned over and gave her a hug.  As he pulled away he whispered in her ear,  “I killed them.  Twas no accident.”  He gave her a hate filled smirk, then attacked the police officers.

I wrote this piece for a school assignment.  I hope people will find this an interesting read, and will enjoy the shock of the ending.

erunn BRONZE said...
erunn BRONZE, Stratham, New Hampshire
Wow! That was certainly an unexpected ending, but an interesting twist nonetheless.