University Run-away | Teen Ink

University Run-away

By Nicole Whyte BRONZE, Flower Mound, Texas
Nicole Whyte BRONZE, Flower Mound, Texas

Here I am, Curissa Petrowskey, in New York City at Parson's University and my parents still think I'm in London at Oxford University. It all began when my language arts professor assigned an essay on our childhood, which brang back awful memories.

While I was writing my paper it finally struck me that I wasn't at Oxford University, because I wanted to or liked what I did there. I was there because of my parents, who put me through vigorous sports training and tutoring to succeed in school. It was almost like I was molded into this robot that was being controlled by my parents. When the real Curissa Petrowskey was a girly girl, who every night would sneak away into her bedroom and design fashions one after another.

So I threw my paper on the floor and decided that I need to be at a college where I can do what I love. A light bulb then switched on and I had thought of a plan to go to Parsons the New School for Design. So I dug into my savings and got a student loan, then bought a plane ticket to New York.

A few days later, I had my suitcase full to the rim and stormed into the airport with a mission. While I was waiting in the terminal, I had contemplated many times on calling my parents or not. Telling them that I'm going to a different college, but the problem was it was their dream for me to go to Oxford University and not mine. It had almost seemed like just because they didn't get to go to Oxford University, it was my responsibility to get there.

Once I had finally landed in New York, and got out of the airport, I called a taxi to take me to Parsons. Then when I opened the door to get out, I had looked out at the buildings with all the lights glimmering around. I felt like I was in a movie and the whole city was spinning around me. Once I looked at the orange Parsons New School for Design sign, it felt like I was in a dream, and I was finally where I was supposed to be. I was right in front of a school where my dreams of doing something I love, finally came true.

I've now been going to Parson's for three months and my parents still think I'm at Oxford University in London. But the importance of my decisions are based on what I love, not what my parents love. That's the most important part of doing something you love, because if not you'll end up going through life in the wrong direction.