A Late Night

'Come on, please? They won't even know we left!' my friend begged. 'My parents are really light sleepers, how many times do I have to tell you that?' I replied.

It was sometime around one A.M. and my friend and I were having a sleepover, like we did many times before. Only this time, she wanted to do something I new was wrong. She wanted to sneak out of the house so we could hang out with some friends. After numerous minutes of listening to her plead, I finally gave in, a decision that, looking back now, was a gargantum mistake.

I slipped on some wool sweats, seeing as it was winter, and forced myself down the steep stairs. I made sure to stay as quiet as possible. One noise was sure to plunge me into a tragic punishment. I looked at my friend, taking in the look in her eyes; I knew it was time to go. I unlocked the door and made note of the 'thunk' noise the lock made when it turned. I opened the bulky door to a gust of icy wind that whipped the uncovered skin on my body.

I felt like a serpent, slithering out the door, trying to be sneaky and quiet. Once we were out of the house, a flood of worry and guilt filled my body. We made our way across the neighbors' freshly cut grass, snow lightly brushing my skin as I trudged down the street. My ears were starting to feel like icicles, considering I forgot to cover them. I noticed every little noise, even the sound of dew covered grass swaying.

When ever I become really nervous, I tend to check to time a lot, whether it's my phone or a watch. Sometimes knowing the time calms me down, but it didn't help one bit. The thought of my parents catching us kept creeping back into my mind. I tried to push the thought out of my head, but it was like trying to push a 50 ton bolder, it wouldn't budge. 'We need to go back!' I suddenly yelped before realizing what I was doing. 'What? No, we're almost there!'

Completely ignoring the words my friend had spoken, I turned around and backtracked through the route we had taken. I was infuriated. There was steam coming out of my reddened ears. I was stomping my feet so hard, I could hear the grass crunching beneath them. 'How could I have let this happen?' I thought to myself. I had known it was an idiotic idea from the beginning. Thoughts ran through my mind as I slowly became closer to the front door I had opened minutes before.

I glimpsed up at the night sky, before slowly turning the golden knob. I was so relieved to be back on the lawn of my own home. I shut the door and walked gingerly to the living room, careful as to not make any noise. I recoiled at the sight of my parents waiting patiently on the couch. Their faces had a look of disgust on them. My mouth went dry and I searched for words, but couldn't find any. 'Uh'I...' I started to stammer, but my mother quickly interrupted. After an endless conversation with my parents, I realized I had made the wrong decision. If I could, I would go back to that very night and make the right decision.