My Mistake | Teen Ink

My Mistake

By Madi Bletko BRONZE, Flower Mound, Texas
Madi Bletko BRONZE, Flower Mound, Texas

'Okay, so you understand the plan?' confirmed Kayla.
'Yeah, I understand. Do you really think this is gonna work?' I asked hesitantly.
'Of course it is. Well, I have to go, see you in an hour. 'Bye.' She said then hung up.
'Oh god, I hope this works.' I said to myself, words dripping with doubt. 'Quit thinking like that,' suddenly regaining confidence,' if I keep to the plan everything will work out.'
Phase one is a go, I thought, just like in Space Cowboys I watched last Thursday. 'Bye, mom!' I yelled over my shoulder as I hurried into Sam's house. Kayla and Tori were already there and ready to go. I thought back on the plan as we step into the car to go to the movies. The plan is to go to the movies, meet the guys, enjoy the movie, and come back to Sam's house for a sleepover. I thought this sounded easy until I found out that my parents were going to be in the same movie theater as us and they can't find out we're meeting the guys!
We waited outside about fifteen minutes outside the movie theater for the guys to come. I felt more nervous the longer we wait there. I can feel the wind of the warm summer night wash across my skin. That calmed me down, a little. All of the sudden I smelled a salty, sweaty sent mix with cheap cologne behind me. I recoiled automatically from it, it smelled so bad. I whirled around; it was only Jake, Tanner, Peyton, and Preston playing a prank on us. All of us stepped inside just when I saw my parents' car pull into the parking lot.
We went straight into the movie once we walked inside. We climbed to the top row and sat down. I could smell the movie theater buttered popcorn all around me. I had a terrifying fear that my parents would walk in any minute. After 20 minutes into the movie, I started to relax a little. All and all, the movie was pretty good except for the constant fear of my parents.
I stepped outside and saw the bright livid shining stars in the cloudless night sky. We said our goodbyes and Kayla, Tori, Sam, and I piled into Sam's car. The next morning my mom picked me up. She asked if we met anyone at the movies and I said no. About a week later my parents found out about what really happened and I got into a lot of trouble.
I lied and I knew it. I regret it now because my parents don't trust me as much now. I'm slowly but surly winning back their trust, but if I could go back in time, I think I would have done it totally different.