Why Me? | Teen Ink

Why Me?

February 11, 2009
By Cameron Stirling BRONZE, Flower Mound, Texas
Cameron Stirling BRONZE, Flower Mound, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Ding...Ding'Ding'! The bell rang in silence as it echoed down the hall. No one was in the school besides me. I stood at the end of the vast hallway wondering why I was in here. Why didn't I evacuate, why? No one understood me, I was an outsider; someone who doesn't follow what others do. I break from the crowd and make my own rules. People say I'm a fish swimming up stream, they're right.

As I just stood there, I starred at the one and only reason I was still in the school for, the bomb. A wise student snuck a bomb in the school and a teacher noticed it lying in the hall and was dumbfounded. Soon the whole school ran out outside, except me.

12:00. I started to walk over towards the bomb. When I arrived at it, a pair of scissors just laid beside it. I recoiled for a second, thinking that this wasn't good. He wanted me to cut the wire, but which one? With tears bleeding down the side of my face, I tried to hold it back like a man. I couldn't resist. A teardrop plopped on the ground and was heard all through the school. I knew this was the end, but why.

12:05. I realized it was time. I reached for the scissors with my arm shivering with fear. I peered at the timer. It read T-5.00 minutes. I didn't have much time. The feeling in my stomach right now was like someone stabbing me in the gut, ripping your intestines out, and using it as a whip forcing you to do something.

When I looked outside, the sun was partly covered by the menacing clouds. I could see all the students lined up in their singled filed lines, and the bomb squad's lights flashing up here. It was a decent day outside.

Soon I cleared my mind and moved my sweaty hands towards the wire. They're two wires, yellow and green. One was going to stop the timer, and one was going to end everything. I knew I had a difficult situation here, which one is right, and which one is wrong.
The timer was at the last minute, or the last minute of my life. It was decision time. Out of complete random choice, I headed for the yellow wire. As the scissors sliced the wire into two pieces, nothing happened. I was relived for a second but wait.
BEEP'BEEP'BEEP! Before I could say anything, I could just see my whole life flash before my eyes. I just laid there staring at the huge gash in the ceiling. I knew this was very tragic. Why did I choose yellow? I saw a glare of light come down on me. I felt my body slowly lift in the air like levitation. Suddenly, everything was white.
Eventually I found myself starring down at the hole. I was in a better place now. I could see the new students run around on the playground; I wish I could be there. They saved all the people in the school that day, partly because of me. I was feeling optimistic, thinking positive. Even though I didn't have to worry about stress in the world and homework, I still wish I could go back in time and chose the other wire, but why me?