Perfect This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The eyeliner makes the dark circles less pronounced. The lip gloss hides the trembling. The ponytail conceals missing patches of hair. The Abercrombie sweater covers bruises. I might look at bit thinner, but everyone will ask about my new diet. My hair might not shine the way it used to, but the pink ribbon will distract curious eyes. One hour of preparation and I look like myself. One hour of preparation and no one will know. One hour out of 24. Sometimes I wonder if it’s worth it – wasting a twenty-fourth of my day on a lie. But then I see my wispy hair and baggy eyes, and I have to do it.

Checking my makeup one last time, I push my sleeves up, though not past my elbows. I slip on a cute pair of flats – heels are too dangerous with shaky legs – and grab my Hollister bag. Padding downstairs, I inhale the scent of waffles and syrup.

“Morning, Mom,” I call.

“Morning, baby,” she chirps. “Did you sleep well?”

“Better than I have been.”

She sighs, and her eyes look a hundred years old for a minute. “Any improvement is good,” she says half-heartedly.

“Of course.”

“I made waffles.” Her offering.

“Thanks, Mom. Smells delicious.” My offering.

I sit at the table and she hands me a plate. The thought of all that food turns my stomach, but I force a smile and thank my mother again. She busies herself at the sink and fills the silence with chatter. When she turns around, she takes in the waffles still on my plate, only missing a few bites. I smile apologetically.

“I’m not very hungry this morning.”

“You’ll need your strength for this afternoon.” She bites her lip. She doesn’t like to bring it up over breakfast. I eat another bite.

“I packed your lunch.”

“I’m 18, Mom. I can pack my own lunch. You have more important things to do.”

She reaches for the paper sack. “But now I know you’ll have something to eat. And you need to eat, okay? You have to keep your strength up.”

Sighing, I take the bag. I know this peanut butter and jelly sandwich won’t be eaten, not any more than the one yesterday or the day before. And even if I do eat it, I’ll just throw it up later. Anything consumed after 11 ends up in a plastic basin at 4:07. It’s just the way it works.

“Hon, have you thought about what I said the other day?” she asks.

I shrug noncommittally.

“Sweetheart, you can’t hide this forever. Eventually you’re going to miss school and people will start asking questions.”

“Mom, I have two months left of high school. I can make it ’til then. I’m class president and probably valedictorian. I was voted ‘Most popular,’ ‘Most fun to be around,’ ‘Best smile,’ and ‘Most likely to succeed.’ I’m the girl who’s got it all together. People don’t want to know that the girl who’s got it all together, doesn’t have it all together. People don’t want to know that girl is dying!”

“Honey, don’t say that. You’re not dying.”

“Yes, I am. I have cancer. You heard Dr. Morrison. I have maybe a year left. But that means I can graduate and then never see those people again. I’ll die and they’ll feel sorry for me, but at least I won’t have to endure their pity.”

“But …,” she tries to interrupt.

“Mom, listen to me. I don’t want to be the girl everyone looks at and whispers, ‘Look at her. Poor thing, she has cancer.’ I can’t handle that. I want to be normal. Just for these last two months.”

“Okay,” she whispers. “Okay. Just remember, it’s okay if you don’t have it all together. Sometimes things just fall apart and there’s nothing we can do.”

“Thanks, Mom.” I grab my bag and lunch and kiss her on the cheek. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” my mom replies. This exchange, once taken for granted, is now a vital part of every morning, every afternoon, every night. Three little words, followed by four more, have come to mean more than an entire conversation. They bridge all gaps and disagreements, because we both know there is now a finite number left.

Keys in hand, I open the door and blink in the early morning sun. My silver car waits in the driveway and as I walk toward it, I check my reflection in the tinted window. Perfect.

Luckystar78This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is harrowing, sad, and gorgeously detailed. The style is emotive without being mawkish, gifting it with sensitive realism. You have real talent as a writer!

lizzyyyyyyyy said...
I love this story and I can tell you are a good writer. There is a lot of good description and I like how you can touch the reader.

Writergirl009 said...
This is so amazing. Very thought provoking. Keep on writing, obviously you are very good at it.

EmmyZ said...
Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:48 am
I really liked your descriptions and the emotion in this piece

KaitlinRoze said...
Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:46 am
Love this story very good description

dpurdy said...
i love this story

what.if said...
Absolutely phenomenal. Keep it up!

Kay_is_a_PenguinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I absolutely love this. It spoke to me so much. You have such an amazing talent!

LittleInker said...
My heart just like...

AdzeZThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 31, 2016 at 3:45 am
This is absolutely amazing! It's so beautiful. Keep up the good work!

CianaBThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is one of the most touching stories I have ever read on Teen Ink. I absolutely love this. Please keep writing more pieces like this. I will love all of them.

Sedgecomb said...
Jan. 10, 2016 at 4:08 am
Very beautiful! You deserve all the credit you've gotten with this. Nicely done!

jason.writes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Beautiful, and it gave me a unique view point on something I had never thought if before,

alaylanorthern said...
Nov. 6, 2015 at 11:54 am
this was the realest I have ever read because from the suspense, to the sadness, to the realness of the whole poem it was amazing. From the beginning to the end, it was well detailed and an amazing insight compared to someone’s life. “The eyeliner makes the dark circles less pronounced. The lip-gloss hides the trembling. The ponytail conceals missing patches of hair”.

markelly said...
Nov. 5, 2015 at 8:40 am
The phrase “The eyeliner makes the dark circles less pronounced. The lip gloss hides the trembling.” is a heart fulfilling line and relate to me for various reasons. I too, a young teenage girl, wears make up to hide my flaws that no one else may see. I wear make up to make myself feel better knowing I’m not the happiest when I look in the mirror without it. Those lines are very touching to me because I understand how it feels to want to change your appearance and take more than an hour to... (more »)

markorea said...
Oct. 30, 2015 at 2:54 am
beautiful :)

MADDO said...
Oct. 27, 2015 at 2:36 am
Beautiful....:)

Apocalyptic said...
9/10. This is an amazing story. You obviously put a lot of time and effort into i. I wish that I could write this well.

LittleBitNerdy said...
Oct. 2, 2015 at 8:09 am
This is beautiful.

KittyKat1419 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I only have one word to describe this : Amazing.