Journey Into the Clouds | Teen Ink

Journey Into the Clouds

June 16, 2016
By Sjatkar BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey
Sjatkar BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I dragged my kids into the warm taxi. “NEW YORK--- Snow is piling up on the streets of the city for at least two days. Everyone is advised to stay inside. Shopping streets have been closed. Flights and buses have been canceled. We have a white Christmas coming up folks. Have a wonderful Christmas Eve!” The radio was practically screaming at me.
Alaina tugged on my jacket, pointing at the ice cream parlor. “Mommy, can we go get ice cream?”
“No sweetie, it's too cold for ice cream.” I kissed her silky light brown hair, smelling her strawberry shampoo.
“Mom, is Dad coming home for Christmas?” Angela asked as she zipped up her olive green parka.
“I don’t know. I haven’t talked to him,” I lied. My husband, Scott, had left my children Angela, Abby, Alaina and I to go live with a woman named Kaylee in Texas.
“Well, if he is, he better not bring that stupid Kaylee with her. She dropped my birthday cake the last time she came.” Alaina crossed her arms together and scrunched her face in anger.
“Mind your language, young lady.” I stared into her adorable baby eyes and a throbbing headache started at the corners of my head.
“Girls, let's go inside.” I picked up Alaina and paid the taxi driver.
I had two aspirins and Abby baked sugar cookies, which filled the room with a pleasant aroma. We sat down to eat when-DING! I rushed to the door and opened it. Scott walked in, and behind him, blonde-haired and green-eyed Kaylee.
“Hi Melanie, it's been such a long time!” Kaylee hugged me tightly, almost squeezing the flesh out of me.
“Hi, Kaylee…” I answered, “Why don’t you guys come in?”
“Daddy!” Alaina and Abby went running into Scott’s arms, and he picked them up; one in each of his strong hands. Angela gave him a quick hug.
I knew Scott was coming today. I knew he was bringing Kaylee, and I wanted him to. I needed him to. I only had a little time left. I needed to making arrangements before I left.
Scott, Kaylee and I walked to the small guest bedroom where I was ready to tell them why I called them here.
“I have cancer,” I confessed.
Scott let go of Kaylee’s hand and looked at me.“What?”
“I have cancer.” I started biting my nails, a bad habit I had recently picked up,“I found out two days ago. I only have few days left, and there’s nothing we can do. I’m too weak.”
“Melanie...why didn’t you tell us before?” Scott sat me down on the bed.
“I need you to take care of our daughters, and I need Kaylee to be their mother. You both have to move from Texas to here in New York. Please,” A huge chunk of my hair fell out.
It was the hardest thing to say. Especially asking the most irresponsible woman to be my precious daughters’ mother. A salty tear made its way through my cheek. My head started spinning, and I couldn’t comprehend what Scott was telling me. I don’t know what happened, but all of a sudden, it was dark and I felt a sharp pain in my arm.
“Mom, Mom, are you awake?” I could hear Angela’s voice, but my eyes were struggling to open.
“Why didn’t you tell me?” Angela touched her gentle hands to mine, and I noticed I was in the hospital room. I could clearly hear the doctors outside who were talking about me.
“I was scared, Angela. I didn’t know what to do.” I tried moving my arm, but it stung.
“I’ll miss you, Mom,” The tears started pouring out of Angela’s eyes.
“Me too.” I wiped her tears, struggling with every movement.
Kaylee walked into the room as Angela left. She pulled up a chair besides my bed.
“I will do my best…” she trailed off and then tried again, “I will do my best to take care of your kids. I know I am not the ideal mother, but I will try. I will never be able to have the same bond with them, but I want them to be loved. I know being a mother doesn’t seem fit for a woman like me, but please believe in me and don’t worry.” I could see the tears in the corners of her eyes, ready to create an ocean.
“I believe in you.” I held her hand and we sat there in silence for a little bit till she left.
I felt reassured to have my daughters in safe hands. Kaylee was way better than I had thought. One by one, everyone came to visit me. I had overheard the doctors talking about how I wouldn’t make it till the next morning. I prayed for the well-being of my family and forced my eyes shut, not wanting to let go.
Twenty Years Later
“Mom!” Angela called out at Kaylee.
Kaylee ran towards Angela, who was sitting in a white gown, waiting for her stepmother to put her veil on her.
Kaylee put the veil on Angela’s dirty brown hair, then turned to kneel besides her.
“Here.” Kaylee handed her a silver bracelet with the name “Melanie” on it, “It was your mother’s.”
“Thank you. You have been there for me in every way possibly after my mother’s death. I love you!” Angela gave Kaylee a hug, and Scott walked in, taking Angela’s arm in his.
“You ready?” he asked her.
“Yes.” Angela touched her new bracelet.
Tears rolled down my eyes. She couldn’t feel me, but I was there, holding her soft hand, bringing her down the long aisle. I looked at my silver bracelet. It looked amazing in my daughter's hand. I kissed her cheek and went back to my delicate cloud. I would forever and always be her guardian angel.