The Impossible Cass | Teen Ink

The Impossible Cass

June 10, 2016
By Abby156 SILVER, Lexington, Massachusetts
Abby156 SILVER, Lexington, Massachusetts
5 articles 3 photos 0 comments

It was fourth grade - renegade year: basketball dunkers, and Christmas elves-I’m smack dab in the middle. Cassandra, Pallavi and I, pull out our prank card- pink, with a catchy slogan and fun designs- to place in Cayley’s valentine box. “She’ll totally buy this”, Pal smirks. “Payback’s definitely worth it”, Cass says flipping her strawberry blonde hair, “she messed with us, now we play the game”, she says giggling with Pal. I feel the lump in my throat when I’m uneasy, but Cayley deserves this, she always has. “It's now or never”, I state frantically, pushing my nerves away. “Go”, Cass commands like a sergeant as I walk over to the rows of milk cartons for our Valentines party. “Class times up!” Mr. Cade shouts in his bullhorn. There’s hectic and frenzy as the class opens their cards. In the middle of all this, I hear: “WHO??!”, our table turns, expecting to see Cayley with her surprise card but instead, Mr. Cade, with a horrified look,  is sitting in his oval chair with blue cheese over his tie and jeans, with a card, our card, on his lap. “They did it!” Cayley said pointing to our table. Cass and Pal’s faces turn bright red in shock and embarrassment, as well as mine. “How did she know?” Cass mouths. I loathed cold-hearted Cayley, but I never meant to avenge peevish Mr.Cade, which was both unintelligent and nerdy. “Mmmmh”, Cayley scoffs bashfully. Trouble was certainly brewing, deep, deep trouble...in the principal's office.


The author's comments:

This is a short story about a moment in fourth grade I would want to redo.