The Funeral | Teen Ink

The Funeral

By justin.j213 BRONZE, Gig Harbor, Washington
justin.j213 BRONZE, Gig Harbor, Washington

His father woke him with tears running down his face like a waterfall. As he tried to pull himself together he looked at me and said, “Viktor, your mother has been sick lately you know that.”
He got a sinking feeling that he already knew what he was going to say next. He hoped with all his being that he would be wrong.
“Your mother passed away in her sleep last night, I’m so sorry... You know she loved you much. I love you son, we will get through this together.”
“Dad, did she go peacefully?” asked Victor.
“Yes, she did.”
He couldn’t hold his tears back. As he laid back in his bed he began to sob silently. Then when he couldn’t cry anymore, he went back to sleep and hoped he wouldn’t wake up. A few hours later he woke up in his room which although bright outside seemed darker inside. He walked downstairs to see his dad cooking and multitasking like nothing had even happened. He knew he was trying to be strong for the both of them.
“Oh you’re awake, good. Come sit down and have some breakfast.”
“Did you do all this? Why is Aunt Ashe here?” he asked.
“She will be helping with the funeral arrangements and be nice to her, you lost your mother but remember she lost her sister too.” said his father softly.
He was never too fond of his aunt, she was always making things about herself. He hated how every month she would have a different man and would bring him around to boast about how amazing or how much money he made. She was a very young beautiful lady on the outside but was a crabby old bat on the inside. He couldn’t blame the men for leaving when they found out how she really was.

The next day he walked into school and felt a sudden shadow cast over him. It was the school Neanderthal, a.k.a., Chad. No brains, just brawn and hit like he had a bronze fist.
“Hey Viktor.” said Chad.
“What do you want Chad?” asked Viktor.
“Whoa, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Now, because you were so mean to me, I”ll accept all the money you have to pay me back.” said Chad.
“No, I’m tired of your crap. Leave me alone or else.” said Viktor
He knew at that point it was all going down hill as a circle formed around them. His only hope now would be if a teacher would come out and save him.
“Or else what?” asked Chad
Chad balled up his fist and pulled his arm back. Like a train, his fist came hurtling towards his face as he was pinned against a brick wall. Viktor moved as fast as he could and Chad missed his head and punched the brick wall. Chad screamed in pain then Victor pulled himself together and with all the pent-up rage in him hit Chad as hard as he could right in the jaw.
Of course the only thing the teacher saw when they came out of the room is Chad on the floor and Victor standing above Chad's unconscious body. Viktor got sent immediately to the principal's office, suspended for two weeks, sent home.
When he got home, his aunt was waiting for him while his father was at work.
“So you got suspended for fighting at school, ha how dumb can you be?” said his aunt.
“Leave me alone and go away I don’t want to see you.” said Viktor.
“I’d love to but on short notice your mother's funeral is tomorrow.” said his aunt.
He storms upstairs to his room and slams the door. He starts to cry and after what seems to be hours of tears, he falls asleep. The next morning he was woken up by his aunt throwing a fresh new black suit on his bed.
“Time to get up , take a shower, and get ready.” said his aunt
It takes him about an hour to get completely ready. His black hair slicked back, his pants were a little long due to him getting his father's short jeans. He thinks, how could he look so good on a day that was so bad.
It was an open casket and his turn to say goodbye. His heart felt like it was going to jump out of his chest. As he walked up and saw his mother's lifeless body, he fell to his knees and couldn’t hold the tears back. Then everything went black. He woke to his mother shaking him awake…
“Honey, you’re okay, calm down it was just a dream.” said his mom.

I was supposed to write this for class and I thought I would submit it.