A Hopeful Young Man | Teen Ink

A Hopeful Young Man

May 25, 2016
By 16wisong BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
16wisong BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

There is loud barking that’s coming from my backyard. Mel begins to cry. I peer out the window into my backyard to see a large golden retriever playing with Charlie. “Charlie! Would you shut that dog up? Your sister is trying to sleep.” Winston continues to bark at the mailman out front. “Ugh.”
“Sorry mom, I’ll take him on a walk.” Charlie ran to the front yard and began walking down the street.  I follow him out front to the mailbox. Sifting through the junk mail, I come across an envelope addressed “Neighbor”. As I walk back inside curious of what is enclosed, I gently rip the envelope open and pull out what seems to be a handwritten letter.

Dear stranger,
Although we have never spoken, I feel I must write this letter to you. I would like to take you through my life and help you understand how the two of us are connected and why I would like your family to have my dog, Winston.
“Alright. Let’s go.” I tend to talk to myself when I need motivation. “It’s just a couple feet. No big deal.” I grabbed onto the armrests of my wheelchair and took a few deep breaths. Rocking forward three times, I pushed myself out of the chair and tightened all the muscles in my body. I grabbed my walker, but before I could get a good grip, my left knee buckled. I crashed, luckily landing on the carpeted floor. My left side has been weaker since the stroke. “Why does this always happen?” I crawled to the couch, as I couldn’t stand on my own. Winston came next to me, wagging his tail and licking my face. I know I shouldn’t be on my own, but I don’t want anyone’s help. Since Mary left, it hasn’t been so easy. I am weak and lonely without her.
There was a knock at the door. “Dammit,” I mumbled to myself, “hold on!” I struggled once again to come to my feet, ensuring I had a steady grip on my walker that time. In short, slow steps, I finally reached the door. It always took me a minute to unlock the door. Mary was always scared of people coming into the house at night so I locked the house up real tight. I slowly swung the door open. Peeping around the door, I saw a teenage boy. He was pretty scrawny and had shaggy dirty blonde hair. Dressed properly in his khakis and polo shirt.
“What do you want? I don’t want to buy anything, kid.”
“I’m not selling anything.” He quietly sighed.
“Where’s your mother anyway?”
He softly replied, “She’s at home, I live across the street.”
“Speak up boy, I can hardly hear ya!”
The boy cleared his throat, “I noticed your dog playing in your yard yesterday. My mom won’t let me get a dog, but I love them. Can I meet him?”
“Does your mom know where you are?”
“She saw me outside. She doesn’t really pay much attention to me anymore. My little sister Mel, is kind of a hand full. I guess even when it was just me, she didn’t care for me much then either. Always thinks that I’m more of a hassle than anything.” He stared at the ground, “ My names Charlie, by the way. Charlie Hope.” He reached out his hand looking me dead in the eyes.
“Ned Avery,” I reached out and shook the boy’s hand, “You sure are daring, aren’t you?”
“I’d like to think that.”
“Winston.” He came rushing to me. I opened the door and took a step outside. Winston followed me and walked to Charlie’s feet. Charlie sat on the ground next to Winston, who was now laying by his side. I took a few more steps walking to the wooden chairs on my porch. They were painted lavender which was Mary’s favorite color. I plopped down on one of the chairs. “So, how old are ya?”
“I’m fourteen, almost fifteen. Just about to be done with ninth grade.”
“Shouldn’t you be studying or something?”
He stroked Winston’s silky golden coat, “I don’t need to study much. School comes pretty easy for me.”
“Want a coke or something? I’ve got plenty in the fridge.”
“Oh, that’s okay. I should probably be heading home. Mom was putting dinner on when I left. Thank you for letting me pet Winston, sure is a nice dog. ”
“Okay, no problem.” I pushed off the chair stumbling to my feet, grabbing hold of the walker. I slowly swung the door open and walked inside. Winston followed a few feet behind me.
I watched Charlie walk all the way home. He only lived about a block away, but I’ve never noticed the kid before. That was the first conversation we had. I didn’t know it then, but that boy was going to change my life.

Charlie came by every day after that. He always brought my mail to my door and occasionally something for Winston. There was never a day when I saw the kid without a smile. He would always talk to me about what was going on in school. “Drake was back in class again today. I guess they gave him a three day suspension after what he put in my locker.” I remember these two sentences very clearly. The way he sighed and the fear in his eyes. There was nothing to do but comfort Charlie and tell him my own personal experiences with bullies, as I too was bullied when I was younger.
Charlie always told me Drake was just a dumb, tenth grade jock. Only person who thought highly of Drake was himself. He was always picking on Charlie for being smaller than everyone else. Charlie skipped a math level, putting them in the same class.  He always told me about their interactions and how poorly Drake treated him. Charlie was much too good to let any of that petty nonsense get to him. I always told Charlie to simply shrug his shoulders and look the other way in any confrontation with Drake. Eventually Drake left him alone. That was my most proud moment with Charlie. I knew that he was listening to what I told him and would always be “the bigger man” in any position like this one.

He began becoming a bigger part of my life and I knew I became a bigger part of his life as well. He spent a majority of his time with me. Once he got his driver’s license, he began helping me with my grocery shopping and helped me run errands as it became harder for me to do things on my own.
When I discovered that cancer was developing in my lungs, I had no hope in my life. No happiness. No one to turn to. Without my wife, I didn’t have anyone except for Winston. Until your son came along. When I met your son for the first time, I didn’t think anything of it. I didn’t think that he could impact my life, but Charlie never treated me like I had cancer. He treated me like I was a real live person who could push himself. He didn’t act like I was broken. He brought joy into my home everyday. He was the most helpful person in my life.
I know by now you already know what has happened, but I wanted to tell you how much your son has meant to me. Not only was Charlie a bright young man, but over the past two years he became my best friend. Through this, I wanted you to see what I saw in your son, hoping you learn how to appreciate him as much as I did in my last years. That young man created a happy environment for me to leave with. And now, I am leaving Winston in Charlie’s hands. Without Winston, I would have never became friends with your wonderful son.
Sincerely,
Ned Avery

Charlie and Winston rush through the front door.
“Mom, what’s wrong?” He stares at the tears rushing down my face.
I smile, “Nothing’s wrong, Charlie.” I walk over and hug my son. I kiss him on his forehead and squeeze him tighter. “Nothing’s wrong.”