Waiting for Dad | Teen Ink

Waiting for Dad

May 25, 2016
By BritishWeirdo BRONZE, Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania
BritishWeirdo BRONZE, Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Gilbert scurried down the harbor. His heart pounded excitedly as he made his way around the dock worker and sailors. “Today’s the day! Today’s the day!” the young boy sang to himself as he ran.
“Does he come home today, laddie?” an old sailor inquired as Gilbert galloped past him.
Gilbert yelled an excited “YES!” at the man. He didn’t bother to stop. He wanted to get to the dock before anyone else did.
It was a perfect day. The sun shined brightly in the sky; its rays warmed the earth. Light, warm, sea winds blew the salty ocean smell through the air as Gilbert ran onto an old boating dock. The wet wood creaked loudly under his bare feet. He plopped down at the edge of the soppy dock with a wet thud. With his feet in the icy sea water, and a grin on his face, he sat and waited with the few other people who had beaten him there.
Crisp, cold waves of sea lapped against his legs, and the warm rays of the sun bathed his bare shoulders in warmth.  With the salty air blowing his hair every which way, the small boy’s heart continued to dance around in his chest like it was doing some sort of samba. Gilbert had never felt this much excitement. It almost hurt.

***

One by one, people filed onto the dock. Some sat at the edge, others stood. The buzz of excited chatter filled the air, along with the piercing squawks of the seagulls that flew above. Gilbert stared tiredly at the bright blue sky as he waited. The warm sun blanketed his skin, and he would probably have fallen asleep if it hadn’t been for a sudden loud HONK.
“There it is!” someone shouted as a gray, metal ship pulled into view.
Cheers erupted from the group of people, and Gilbert jumped up, almost falling off the dock in his excitement as the large naval ship pulled into the harbor with a deafening screech. It’s horns blared again loudly once it was docked. The honk made Gilbert’s, and everyone else on the docks, ears ring like bells.
One after another ship members filed off the ship. The area filled with loud chatter and happy cries as crew members were reunited with their families. Gilbert had pushed his head past people just to get even the smallest glimpse of the crew.
“Gilbert!?” came a husky voice.
Gilbert's eyes widened as he locked onto the man who had just yelled his name. With all his might he pushed himself the rest of the way through crowd and towards the man.
“Daddy! You’re home!” he squealed in delight as he ran towards his father.
Gilbert’s father happily scooped his son up into a tight hug. “Yeah, Gilbert,” he said, a big grin plastered on his rough face, “I’m home.”