How To Tell If Your Friendship Is Worth It | Teen Ink

How To Tell If Your Friendship Is Worth It

By mandywrites GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
mandywrites GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"Why breathe when you can just die?" -My best friend

In order to know if you should keep someone as your friend or not, you first need to know what a friend is. A friend is somebody who talks to you, and spends time with you, and is there to make you happy. They support you, they help you, they listen when you need to talk, and talk when you can’t find the words to say. A friend is someone beneficial to you, someone who brings positivity to your life. You need to ask yourself – does my friend meet this description? Next, you have to identify how this person makes you feel. Do you find yourself feeling angry while you are talking to them, a lot? Anger isn’t positivity, anger isn’t happiness. A friend shouldn’t be making you feel angry often. Anger is bad for your health, and a friend is supposed to care about your health. Does your “friend” insult you a lot? A friend doesn’t call you names or laugh at your creations or harm your self-esteem. That is not beneficial. Friends shouldn’t abuse you, physically, or any other way for that matter. You shouldn’t come home with scars that will last on your skin for eternity, or memories of being slapped in the face. Friends aren’t supposed to purposely offend you, time and time again, and then go off on you when you try to respond with your side. Friends shouldn’t provoke you, and try to get a rise out of you, and belittle your opinions, and diminish your beliefs, and tell you that you’re wrong when you just try to speak your mind. You shouldn’t have to hide all your opinions out of fear of a conflicts, you shouldn’t have to be scared to respond to a text message, you shouldn’t have to feel like crap every time you talk to somebody. And you shouldn’t have to censor your feelings or your thoughts. If you suffer through these things then you aren’t happy, and if you’re not happy in this friendship, then there’s no reason for the friendship.

I think it's pretty obvious what was going on in my life while I wrote this. I actually sent this piece to the friend who this is about as my way of sayng goodbye to our friendship, and to serve as an explanation as for why we could no longer be friends anymore.