Revolution | Teen Ink

Revolution

May 17, 2016
By LaurenceHayward SILVER, Sturminster Newton, Other
LaurenceHayward SILVER, Sturminster Newton, Other
8 articles 9 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
We are all in the gutter, but some us are looking at the stars.


I was there. I saw it happen. I saw the world change in a matter of minutes. I saw the mass of humans, demanding change. I was there. I smelt the smell of tension and sweat, the smell of a packed, anxious, crowd. I was there. I heard the shouting of anti-government slogans, I saw the flash of a red flag, the colour of the revolution, the colour of blood. I saw my friends, my enemies, complete strangers, demanding the same. People of all colours and races, calling for change. People of both genders and different ages, shouting for the same. Freedom.
I was not armed, like some of the others. I did not want to see the man who called himself the “Alpha” with his sneering head on a spike. This was not the dark ages. This was 2035, in London. That does not mean, however, I did not want him to rot in prison. He had done things to me, my family and everyone who did not agree with his fascist ideas. Horrible things. Things I won’t even attempt to describe. He had fought his way to power. He was not a brave man, however; He used words as well as big guns. He used twisted words. Words like the serpent spoke to Eve, if you still believe in all that. He is pure evil. Psychopathic, power crazed, racist, mad, evil.
You would think the human race would’ve learnt its lesson by know. These people are never a good idea. They don’t seem to last long, but what they do when they’re in power changes the country, and world, for years to come. It amazes me that humans still rule the world. I thought by now we would have destroyed ourselves along with the world we live on.
I can hear the sound of soldiers’ armoured feet. I can see the dust cloud that is kicked up by a travelling army. I can smell the fear on my comrades’ skin. They are coming. Coming to take us away. Coming to crush our hopes. Coming to shape our ideas into the dull clone of the Alpha’s. That is really all he wants. For his people to be boring, uninteresting, dull robots. For everyone to have the same belief. Only then will he have full control. Without ideas we cannot fight back. That is what makes humans better than any other being this world has ever seen. We think for ourselves. As long as our ideas do not cause harm to others, we can believe what we want, and we should be respected for it. There it is. I said my clever, philosophical piece. And now I can see the soldiers. They are nearly on us. I suppose we must have won, if you are reading this. I wonder if I am still alive. If not, is the world better? Has another power-crazed person come to power yet? If so, was it one of the many people I am stood next to. Its amazing how quickly good intentions can become an evil reality. It would not surprise me of one of these revolutionaries got a taste for power and we suddenly had a new tyrant. But enough. I can see them. The soldiers are here.


The author's comments:

Fascism is everywhere. It is growing slowly and unconsciously in the minds' of our youth. it could appear at any time. All it takes is one power hungry tyrant to seize control. It is in the back of those in powers mind's. It could explode into reality at anytime. These leaders can be terrifyingly persuasive. Scarily, people believe what they are told to believe. This piece is a short look into what could happen at anytime. And what we, as the future, must fight to prevent.