Everything Changed | Teen Ink

Everything Changed

February 20, 2009
By sAmA027 BRONZE, Wapwallopen, Pennsylvania
sAmA027 BRONZE, Wapwallopen, Pennsylvania
1 article 1 photo 1 comment

Its Monday night and I'm home alone because my father is at therapy and my mother is at work. I'm done my math homework, and now I'm dying for chocolate cake. I look in the fridg, but there is nothing there. So I just settle for a chocolate bar. The chocolatly taste reminds me of the time Genna, my old best friend who moved away, and I were drinking chocolate milk.

Its a warm Saturday night in Warrington PA. I'm at Genna's house blowing bubbles in our chocolate milk. Genna's little sister Mikayla, is always following us around. I'm talking to Genna, well more like bragging, but whatever. I brag a little more about my brothers Steven and John.

" They go on tour next month and they might take me with them!"

Genna rolls her eyes and keeps blowing into her bendy straw. Then she turns on the television and the Jonas Brothers are in one of the shampoo comercials. Genna and I freak out and scream that we love the Jonas Brothers. Then we burst out in laughter because we are just plain random. I was brought back to the present by my mother walking in the kitchen with her purs in one hand and keys to our big red box car in the other.
"Lets get you to your dance class before your late," says my mother as she gets my wig and dance dress out the closet.
Before I knew it I was at dance class.

"All right girls there will be a festival on Sunday and I expect to see all of you there. Okay?" Said Ms.Orlah.
The class agreed in unison.

On my way to the locker room I tried to say hi to Megan, but she just rolled her eyes and kept walking. Sometimes she can be a brat like that. I'm only friends with her because I don't have that many of them. When I got home all I could smell was my mom's famous salmon and I instantly new she was home tonight. I dropped my Irish dancing bag and ran into the kitchen. To my disapointment all I saw was the table set for one and I knew that one was me.

As I ate my salmon, which was delicious, I remenised about the times when my parents and I were happy. On Thanksgiving three years ago I was tossing the salad and my mom was busy baking the turkey. I remember telling her she should either get a bakery or a cooking show because she was a fantastic cook. Everyone came to our house on holidays. I was awakend from my reverie by a door opening. It was my dad.

"Hey sugar! Hows it going?" He ask as he gets himself a plate.

"Fine," I say.

"Thats great," he says and then walks out the room.

I was half way through my dinner when my mom walks in the door. She had a small green clip in her boy like red hair. She wore a green and black jumpsuit that made her look a lot taller than she really is. She walked over to the fridge to get a drink and asks, "Would you like some more salmon Alice?"

"No," I say with more force than I intended.

"Oh, I almost forgot to tell you that I won't be home Thursday or Friday. You know, business trip."







"Whatever," I say and put my dish in the sink then start to walk away.

"Are you okay?"

"No ,mom, I'm not."

"Well tell me what's wrong and maybe I could help," Alice's mom says in a motherly tone.

"Okay well, first of all nothing is the same! Everything changed since Steven and John moved out! Second, your never home and dads always at the therapist!"

My mom looks at her watch and says, "Oh honey, I'm sorry, but its 8:00 and Mass will start soon. Bye!"
I couldn't believe it! My own mother doesn't even care how I feel!










I'm coming home after a great day of school. The sun shines and birds are chirping. When I arrive at my boring white house I see my mom's car in the driveway. I was surprised because she said she wouldn't be home. When I walked in I could see my parents at the dinning room table talking calmly and quietly.

"Sweetie?" My mom asks her voice hoarse.
I walk over to her and her eyes are swollen and red. She was crying, but why? There were tissues everywhere. I guessed that they have been talking quite a while.

"Your father and I have decided that its best if-" She burst out crying before she could finish the sentence so my dad finished for her.

"We think its best if your mother moves out for a little while."
My head was spinning and memories of seeing them ague and when I cried myself to sleep came back to me. I could barley find my voice to ask why, but finaly managed to get it out.

"Well its complicated, but you will understand when you get older," Says my dad as he stares at his hands.
You know, my dad never really showed any emotion before, but as I watch him right now I swear I can see a single tear shed from his forest green eyes and slide down his rosy cheek.

After my parents finished talking to me I went up to my room and I had no idea what to do or how to even think of what's happening. I must have bawled my eyes out for hours before I went to sleep because when I awoke the next morning my face was swollen. I even scared myself! I put my long blond hair up in a messy bun and walked down the stairs. The house was quiet as usual.

As I was cooking up a couple of organic eggs and toast when the doorbell rang. I left the stove on because whoever it was I won't be talking to very long. I'm not really in the mood to talk to anyone. I turnead the brass doorknob and when the door was fully open I saw my old bestfriend whom I haven't seen since 3rd grade standing before me.

"Alice!" Genna squealed loudly enough ther I think the whole block heard.
She stood there with her brown eyes poping out at me and her hair dancing in the rapid wind.

"Genna! Um, i don't mean to be rude, but what are you doing here i thought you were in California living out your dream as a famous dancer."

"Lets take a walk and i will explain everything!"
Alice agreed. She grabed her coat and walked out the door headed to the lake she and Genna used to visit when they were younger. As Genna finished talking about why she was here I remembered the eggs and toast I was cooking. I stoped in my tracks and started to panicking. I thought " How long was i gone? Is there a fire? Should i explain to Genna then run to my house or just start running? I decided to start running without an explaination. Surely Genna will follow me and see for herself if there is a fire."

When i reached my house i saw a fire truck and an ambulance.

"Oh. thank you god for making my daughter safe!" Cried my mother as she embraced me in her warm and welcoming arms. She squezed me till I couldn't breath and finaly let go to give me a kiss on my for head.

While the flames started to to die down my mom showered me in kisses and questions. I answered them while looking for my dad, but he was no where in sight. Finaly he showed up and gave my mother and I a hug and kiss.

At that moment I realized my mother did care about me and that no matter what happends between my parents they will always love each other just not in the same way. I had a new perspective of the world and everything in it. Everything changed, but in a good way.

Now all the people I love are with me now at this very special moment. My blue gown brushed the ground as I walk up to the podium. I look out to everyone and see my parents sitting together and my sisster and brothers.. I start my speach with a shaky voice, but by the end I feel more comfortable and confident. I smile as I walk off the stage with my diploma in one hand and my future in the other.