The Last Day | Teen Ink

The Last Day

April 13, 2016
By seanmaxwell57 BRONZE, Silver Springs, Nevada
seanmaxwell57 BRONZE, Silver Springs, Nevada
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't believe anything you read or hear, even from me, unless it agrees with you own reason and common sense" - Buddah


I knock on the door and wait patiently for someone to answer. A young man, about seventeen, opens the door and asks, “Oh, hey, Mike. What are you doing here?” He signals me to go inside and I enter, take off my shoes, and say, “I’m here to see Bethany. Is she awake?”

“Yea, she woke up a little bit ago. You can go to her room and see her. My Mom will be home from the store in a bit.” I nod and turn down a hallway to my left. I pass by the first door on the right and turn to the first door on the left. I knock on the door and hear a faint voice say, “Come in.”
I open the door and walk into the room. The room is small and has a cute vibe to it. There is a dresser on the wall to the left, and a desk facing the back wall, in front of a large window. To the right of the desk, there is a stand up mirror and a night stand. Beside that is a bad in a cute floral frame and bed set. Along the wall of the door is a bookshelf filled with Arts and Crafts books.
Bethany is at her desk, working on another Arts and Craft project. She turns around to look at me and stands quickly when she realizes who I am. “Oh, Mike,” She says, “I didn’t know you were coming over. I would have gotten some tea and food ready.”
“No, no. It's alright. You shouldn’t be making me food anyway. You need to rest, you just got out of the hospital.” I warn, “And you have another operation in a month.”
“I feel better, besides, I have things I need to do anyway.” She turns back to her desk and starts to clear it off.
Bethany is a short girl, maybe a little over five feet, and has long black hair. She is the most beautiful girl I have ever met, even though she is almost always connected to some kind of machine. Bethany has Cancer in her liver and it has been spreading rapidly lately. She has a feeding tube coming from her nose and needs an oxygen tank everytime she goes outside for long periods of time. The doctors say that they nearly have it contained, and that she may win her battle.
Once she is done cleaning her desk, she looks to me and asks, “Would you like some tea?” I smile and nod politely. We both leave the room and go to the kitchen. Her brother is sitting at the table, playing a game on his phone when he notices us. Bethany starts making tea while I sit next to her brother. He looks at me and says, “You got her out of her room? I’m impressed.” Bethany swings around and hits him with a box of tea bags. “I guess I shouldn’t have said that. I’ll leave you two alone.” He gets up and leaves the room. Bethany pours our tea and sits where her brother was just sitting.
I look at her and I can’t help but to stare. Her light face and silky hair captivate me as I look at her so intently. She looks up to me and our eyes lock. It seems as though time has stopped, and it is only us two in the world. Her big brown eyes consume my attention as I marvel at their perfect beauty. “Is something wrong?” She asks in a soft, cute voice. I can tell that she feels the same way about me. I don’t know how I can tell, but I know that I can.
“Oh, nothing.” I say without breaking eye contact and sipping my tea.
For the next few hours, we discuss the normal topic of our friends, recent events on the news, and her Cancer treatments. Her Mom comes through the door and I look at the clock, and notice that it is already past six. I stand up and start to get ready to go. “Are you sure that you don’t want me to drive you home?” Her Mom asks as I start to leave. “No, thankyou. I feel in a walking mood. I’ll come by tomorrow to see you, Bethany.” I leave and start walking home.
I only live about a mile away from their house, which only takes a little more than fifteen minutes to walk, but I take some back roads to extend the walk. After about forty-five minutes, I finally make it home. Once I go into my house, I go directly to my room and shut the door. Some time after I put my things away, I get a message on my phone: Hey Mike, did you get home safe? I respond with: yes. I am really concerned about how much pain she is in. I can clearly see it, no matter how much she tries to hide it. Maybe tomorrow, I will bring her a present.
I get out of school and I walk to the local corner store. I pick out the cutest stuffed animal that I can find. It is a little panda with large anime eyes and cute little limbs, compared to the large head and eyes. I purchase the panda and head directly to Bethany’s house. I knock on the door and Bethany’s Mom answers. She is crying and she lunges to hug me.
After a few minutes of comforting her, we go inside to the living room, and everyone is sitting on the around, crying. “S-s-she didn’t make it…” Her little brother utters and starts crying again.
I can’t believe this. She is gone? Just yesterday, she was alive, but now she is gone. I don’t know what to do anymore. I love her more than anyone else in this world. Now, she is gone.


The author's comments:

My personal experiences inspired me to write this, and I want everyone else who has experienced this to know that you can live after something like this.