Tryouts | Teen Ink

Tryouts

April 7, 2016
By Anonymous

Danny's goal since he made his first basket in his shabby backyard basketball hoop was to make the varsity basketball team. Danny had ran up and down the bleachers, shoot baskets, and run around cones about a million times to get in the physical shape he was in now, he was ready.

As Danny’s first day of freshman year came to an end, he heard about the new kid at school earlier that day. He heard about his glory and accomplishments at his old school. He heard all about how this new kid could pass the ball and shoot it amazingly, but that didn't matter, Danny knew that he has practiced for too long and tried so hard to not be showed up by the new kid. Danny’s athleticism and intensity have always made up for his height at 5’6 and weight at 150 pounds, he just hoped that this time he could give his all and beat that new kid and make the team.

The new kid and Danny came out of the locker room, Danny eyed the new kid and began to get psyched out as he saw the tall, strong new kid tower over him in the dreadful walk to the gym.But he soon overcame that  walked up to the Dumont High School Gymnasium with their heads up high, Tryouts started and both players made stellar performances in front of the coach. During the shooting drill, Danny made more shots than the new kid and during the passing drill, The new kid was passing better than Danny.” You boys both have great potential, but there is only one spot for a freshman this year.” Said Coach Whitehall. Both players were feeling smug, thinking they were better than each other. They both began working harder as they realized they were more alike as players than not. Tryouts were ending in 30 minutes and both Danny and the new kid were pushed to the brink, making shot after shot and dribbling around each other for seemingly forever. Both players started to get tense, realizing that what they do now affects if they get on the team or not. During a dribbling drill with cones, the new kid stumbled blindly over a cone and knocked Danny over. Danny viewed this as a threat and pushed back, the new kid swung his fist and caught Danny square in the nose and that started bleeding, after that happened, it was a brawl.
Both Danny and the new kid were removed from the gym and banned from the team that year. Later that evening, Danny invited the new kid, who later introduced himself as Jeff, to come over and play a friendly game of basketball at Danny's house. Both exceptional players ended at a tie after hours of playing and having fun.