Doubt | Teen Ink

Doubt

By MikeArcangel BRONZE, Papillipn, Nebraska
MikeArcangel BRONZE, Papillipn, Nebraska

Justin hated waiting. It was about the crack of dawn and Justin was up all night worrying about if his grandpa made it out of surgery. His family has a history of heart attacks and he was worried that he wouldn’t make it out this time. The doubt he had out weighed the good memories he once had with him. It has been 24 hours since the last time they heard from the doctor and every hour of the day all Justin did was grief.             

It was the Wednesday that everyone was not looking forward to school is starting back up again, with Justin and his class becoming the notorious annoying freshmen class he knew it was going to be difficult to cope with others. When it comes to school, High school is a different ball game than middle school. Good first impressions are major key to meeting new people and Justin wasn't having it. He shunned all of his friends, and walked the hallways alone with his backpack and a picture of his grandpa in his hand. Justin couldn’t hold back his tears in class and he could feel all the eyes on him. Justin stormed out of class leaving his phone on the table. The teacher walked passed his desk only to find a text message from his mom saying that his Grandpa Ned passed away at 10 this morning.

Shocked and devastated Justin left the building without hesitation. He ran for miles to end up where he and his grandfather would have ice cream and play catch. He went to the exact wood table that they would have their endless conversations and he reminisced all of the good memories they shared. He wiped his tears from his eyes and went to reach for his pocket knife and contemplated about life, he smiled got up and went to engrave Grandpa Ned on the table to forever remember him.