Conversations at Dinner | Teen Ink

Conversations at Dinner

March 23, 2016
By camrynwrites BRONZE, Denton, Maryland
camrynwrites BRONZE, Denton, Maryland
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The man and the woman sat at a table, complete with expensive silverware and a glass chandelier above them. Candles flickered as joyful chatter and laughter filled the air around them. They both sat silent, facing down towards the empty plates. The woman just frowned as the man opened and closed his fists, eyes closed, when the waiter approached them.


“What can I get you both today?”


“I’ll have a coke and she’ll have a sprite” the man replied, finally looking up.


“Actually, I think I’ll just have a water” replied the woman as she pointedly focused on the waiter rather then the man in front of her. As the waiter walked away the woman slowly turned to look at the man’s questioning expression.


“You’ve always ordered sprite” the man replied quietly.


“Not anymore- I guess I’ve just liked it for so long that it just isn’t the same anymore.”


“I see… but wouldn’t that just make it that much more normal, comfortable?” the man finally replied as he spun the gold band around his ring finger. The woman was silent for a moment as they both looked down again.


“I thought so, I thought I would always love it, but I guess I’ve just changed.” Replied the woman as she noticed his earlier movement. She looked down at her own bare hand and hesitated a moment before smiling weakly at the man. She then quickly stood up and turned to go as she muttered a frantic goodbye. The woman rushed out of the restaurant leaving the man alone at the table. After staring into space for a few moments, the man slowly removed his own ring and tossed it onto the table. It rang out as it made contact with the glass plate in front of him.  He then exited the restaurant himself, however he moved much slower, head down, as he walked down the street the opposite direction of the way the woman had just gone.


The author's comments:

Based off of Hemmingway's "Show, don't tell" style.