Day in the Life | Teen Ink

Day in the Life

By chipped_graphite GOLD, Camden, Maine
chipped_graphite GOLD, Camden, Maine

"Don't gobblefunk around with words."
- Roald Dahl, The BFG

A startling thought struck me this morning when I woke up: I am insignificant. I mean, think about it. I am one in billions. I may not have an identical twin out there, but for the most part I look the same as everyone else. What makes me so special? Why am I unique? What claim do I have to thrive on this earth? These questions sent my mind reeling, trying to come up with answers. The sad thing was, though, that I couldn’t think of a single response. I racked my small brain for something, for anything—but nothing came. There’s no reason why I should be here instead of some other guy, and it wouldn’t make much difference if he was here instead of me. Nothing truly matters. And my time in this world is short anyway…ugh. I just feel so powerless and useless now. I’ve always known my life wasn’t blessed, but my stark realization emphasized that fact to the breaking point. I don’t know if I can stand this anymore.

Every day is the same. I’m not kidding. NOTHING. EVER. CHANGES. Let me describe what happens:

At four o’clock in the morning, LL6 wakes me up with a gentle nudge. “Hey,” he says unenthusiastically.

“Hey,” I respond nonchalantly.

After our two-word exchange, the others start to stir. Together, we inspect the damage done overnight and assess what needs to be done. We don’t have any actual control, of course; Master is the one with all the power. Speaking of Master, He arises precisely at six o’clock. After readying Himself for the day ahead, He sets off downstairs to the kitchen. That’s when our work begins. You’d think He could vary His diet, shake it up a little for us, but every blasted day it’s the same: a slice of wheat toast smeared with plum jelly and a glass of milk. It may not be the most challenging breakfast, but it’s still not fun.

When we’re finished, Master trudges back upstairs and cleans house for us. He always rushes in the morning, which contributes to our general mood of disgust. Seriously, we only require a few minutes of His time, but Master is in such a hurry to get to Work that He apparently can’t spare even that.

Work is certainly a curious place. Master speaks highly of it, saying that it’s what sustains Him, yet this is a concept that neither I nor the others can comprehend. How can sitting at a desk all day sustain anyone? But that’s what Master says; therefore it must be true.

After a long nine hours there, Master returns home with us. We’re tired, for we have been busy. Master has a habit of constantly consuming refreshments, a routine that all of us frown upon. It is as if He is oblivious to how much of our effort even the simplest snacks require. But I must not speak of Master in that way. Where was I? Ah, yes—supper after Work.

Master places his precooked meal in the microwave, waits the allotted time, and then plops it on a plate. Why He finds this mess of food palatable, none of us know. But, come five o’clock, He sits down to His dinner and makes His customary remark: “Let’s eat!”

This is always our busiest hour. All of our workmen are on the scene and employed. We all have our jobs to do, and it’s very demanding to keep up with Master’s swiftness. We don’t tire easily, but we do have our limits. Predictably, Master’s plate is clean in fifteen minutes. We’re forced to hold our breath as Master does dishes. He’s unaware of the bacteria lying in wait, which is infuriating. When it’s finally time for nightly house cleaning, we’re relieved. Master does a more thorough job in the evenings.

The remainder of our day is easy to figure out. Night falls, Master goes to bed, and we follow as always. See what I was talking about earlier? I hate this life. I wish I could just be a real human. They have all the fun. Me, I’m stuck with LL6 and the others forever. But hey—maybe I am important after all. I mean, Master would be doomed without me. I guess everybody has a purpose—even us teeth.