The Words I Never Want To Hear

There are two sentences I never want to hear. They go hand in hand. One before the other. Just thinking about these words makes my heart race and my eyes fill up with tears. The words I never want to hear are, "Babe, I'm being deployed," and "Ma'am, your fiance isn't coming home." My other half, y man, my soldier is leaving me.

"Babe, I'm being deployed." They echo in my head. My baby, my darling, my sokdier is going away. I'll punch him in the arm and tell him it's not funny to joke about it. When he remains silent, and stares at me, pain spreading across his face, I'll know that it's not a joke. I'll drop to my knees. Settling beside me, he'll just hold me. He won't say a word. It's not his way. Always my rock, my pillar, my soldier. Several minutes lapsed, "When do you leave, Mark?" My voice is weak and mouse-like.

"Two weeks." Outright, blantant, and bold. No sugarcoating, softening the break. That's the way Mark is. There it is. I have two weeks left with my lover, my sweetheart, my soldier.

"Oh, God," I whisper. Silent sobs shake my body. A searing pain rips at my gut. A wave of naseau washes over my body. "Do you really have to go?" I cling once more to the desperate hope that he's just joking.

"I'm sorry, Jo."

It's been two months since he was shipped back to Afghanistan. Thirteen more to go. I watch my email like a hawk watches its prey. Waiting to hear from him. My hero, my protector, my soldier. It's been two weeks since he last wrote.

There's an unexpected knock at my door. My heart plummets when I open the door and two officers are standing there.

The words I never want to hear. "Ma'am, I'm sorry to inform you, but your fiance isn't coming home." Once more I am pushed to the floor by an unbearable weight. He's gone. My soldier is gone.

The words I never want to hear.

Joelle P. said...
Hey, all! I just figured I would clarify, but Mark's still at home. Safe and sound for now. This poem is two different scenarios that I don't ever want to happen put into words.

TK International said...
oh my, i feel for you, my boyfriend is joining the para's and i no from his age he will go to afghanistan.

i thought i was a joke at first too.

i hope so much for you that you two are reunited together safe and sound.
those really are the the words you never want to hear.

this reminds me of 'Atonement'.

Megann [Sisehh] said...
Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:07 am
God Foggy. -huggles-

Iloveyou.

Stay stronggg. :D

Mystic Stables said...
Wow, very nice job Foggy!

FoxHollow said...
Wow, this is a poem full of emotion and pictures. I'm sure you will be reunited once more. And then get married. =D xxx

Sunshine said...
Wow! Amazing job. You wrote this article so the reader can really feel what you're feeling. Great job!

Bluegrass Estate said...
Mar. 4, 2009 at 9:06 am
These words paint such a strong picture. Amazing writing hun! You have alot of talent =)

Llama In That Box *points* said...
Mar. 4, 2009 at 6:11 am
Wow. It's brilliant!!!

Midnight Sun Sporthorses said...
Mar. 3, 2009 at 4:30 am
Wow!! Amazing

GimmeMoreSourCream said...
Mar. 3, 2009 at 2:15 am
I love it darling.
It's so touching, you did amazing.