The First Child In Space | Teen Ink

The First Child In Space

By lulu.carpenter BRONZE, West Des Moines, Iowa
lulu.carpenter BRONZE, West Des Moines, Iowa

"Being brave doesn't mean you're not scared, because if you weren't scared then it wouldn't be being brave." - Rupert Grint

It was a beyond imaginable experience. The Earth lay infront of me, I had never realized how small one country could be. I undid my seatbelt.

"Let yourself get used to the zero gravity experience." I hear in my ear. It's Mike. But I can't respond, I am literally speechless. I can see the world. It's so BIG. I am in space. I undo my seatbelt all the way, and feel myself go up. I don't get carsick easily, which really is coming in handy right now.

The feeling is so unatural. A new and different way of movment. I smile as I bounce off the floor onto the celing and do a flip.

"Keep flipping like that and you'll kick a button that will send you to Mars kiddo." Mike says.

"I know. I'm just trying to have some fun." I respond. And this is fun. This is amazing. I stop flipping around and (walk? float? fly?) over to the window. What I see makes me want to curl up in a ball and cry. I begin coughing.

"Mike? Mike! Is there supposed to be an asteroid coming towards me?" I speak into the microphone with fear.

"What?" He says. "Clementine I swear if you're joking-"

"Mike I'm not kidding you. Check your radar." I tell him, and I go back to the control system that's in the front of my aircraft, and start the engine just incase this astroid won't change its course.

"Okay, calm down. Clementine that moon rock isn't even moving." Mike says. I squint out the window again.

"Oh. Oops. Sorry bro."

"I'm glad you're at least causious." Mike says with a sigh. "I thought that we missed something in you're route, or we got your aircraft course coordinates wrong." He tells me.

I don't respond. I'm calm now. I'm just looking out at the emptiness and stars before me, knowing that my dream has come true.

I hope that you get the feelings that Clementine has in this piece, and how she is wowed by her dreams.