Jelly Jello | Teen Ink

Jelly Jello

By Sydneyliao SILVER, Cupertino, California
Sydneyliao SILVER, Cupertino, California

I walked across the floor slowly, getting closer and closer to the dreaded dinner table. With each heavy, uncertain step, it got bigger and more terrifying. How could a table be terrifying? The spotless glass plates and black chopsticks seemed to sneer, taunting me, cold laughter and cackles erupting.

It wasn’t really my fault. Amber was famous for having the worst food ever. One time, we all had pizza on Friday, and she came with roasted guinea pig...or was it whale? There was another time when we almost threw up watching her tackle an octopus, along with a side of cold, mushy squash. No, I wasn’t paranoid.

I smiled bravely as I sat at the table, trying hard to hide my distaste. Amber was grinning madly, as if she could read my mind. Then, her mother was here with the plate. I swallowed nervously, clutching my chopsticks, my palms sweaty. It would be very rude to refuse.

“Take your pick, Hazel,” her mother said formally, holding the plate in front of me generously. I looked at Amber and she shrugged. Taking a deep breath, I lifted my chopsticks and took the nearest piece, not bothering to look. When everyone had taken a seat, I peeled my eyes away from the clock to face the dish in front of me. It was yellowish and looked like jelly. A red sauce covered the thing. It looked unpleasant, like a banana slug covered in blood... Could it really be?

No.
“You can take the first bite, Hazel,” Amber offered innocently. I glared at her briefly and tried to use the chopsticks. The piece slipped, flopping ungraciously onto the plate. Sighing, I eyed my friend and picked the food up with my hand, wishing I could “accidentally” disintegrate it with my touch. It was uncomfortably smooth and squishy, cold to the touch. Closing my eyes, I stuffed the whole thing into my mouth. Silence. Then--

Red spots danced in my eyes as I choked, heaving, gasping for air. The jelly jiggled inside my mouth as my taste buds screamed. Red sauce dripped out of my mouth, like blood from a wound. Firework after firework of pain exploded, and I cried out loud, feeling tears well up uncontrollably. I swallowed bile, jelly, and sauce in one gulp, feeling it slide through my esophagus and into a pit of acid.

“Well, jellyfish isn’t that bad, is it?” smiled Amber.