The Silent Rule | Teen Ink

The Silent Rule

January 29, 2016
By HelenJ SILVER, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
HelenJ SILVER, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Sultry Mississippi air weighed heavily down on the house as the summer morning carried on. Although the heat was unbearable to some, natives of the state accepted it as any other custom. A man got out of bed, like any other day, and prepared his mind. He had no intention of participating in spontaneous actions, nor he had the realization that today would not be like any other day. The man’s face was aged, but still young at the same time. His intellectual façade made him a very intriguing person, and one could tell by his appearance that he was accomplished in life. He ran his hand through his silver hair, and let out a tired sigh. He slowly emerged from his room, greeting his children and wife in the kitchen. Once again, the Mississippi air blew in, filling the room with heat, bothering the people inside. The woman leaned over and kissed her husband on the cheek. She smiled but discontent filled her eyes from the foreign surroundings that she now lived in. She continued on though, despite the problems that surrounded her, and continued to care for her husband and children. Her husband looked up at her lovingly, and hung onto every word she said. He continued to talk to his wife and children, always smiling and laughing in their presence. The man was a professor and a respected one at that. He was a great one, and was cherished by many of those he had taught. After he kissed his wife goodbye, the man walked down the steps and made his way to the bus stop. Heat rose from the pavement, burning the soles of his feet. Mississippi was a distant and undiscovered place for a man from the Bronx. He felt as if he were in a new world, and enjoyed the experience. He was concerned for his family, but needed to keep his job.  He was pursuing his dreams, wherever that may lead him. The man reached the bus stop, and closed his eyes. He thought of the chill of a New York winter and breathed in the fresh air of New Jersey. He could also hear the lakes of Chicago, among many other feelings. He was in a world that no one around him had ever experienced. A boy, with black skin, walked near, bumping into him as he went along. The man was too tired to respond and just wished that he could arrive at the school, although the people around him started to yell at the boy. The man was already worn as he was getting used to his new life, and was going to need some time to adjust. A new place meant new surroundings. It was not his first time moving, but each time, it felt worse than the one before. As he dazed off, the bus creaked up and let out a sigh. The man came back to reality. He climbed aboard the bus and sat down in a seat, oblivious to the fact that the bus was segregated. He was not an ignorant man as much as he was tired. Another man walked up to him and sat beside him.
“Hello. Lovely morning, isn’t it?”
“Oh, oh, yes it is, very nice”
“Now where are you from? I can tell that you’re not from around here with your accent.”
“I like to think I’m from many places, but primarily New York.”
“Ah, New York, wonderful town. I have never been, but I have heard so much.”
“Yes, it is quite something.”
The conversation ceased to continue, and the man was once again left with his own thoughts. As much as he loved a good conversation, he much preferred the his own ideas at the moment. He looked at the window, watching different parts of Mississippi pass by. Mississippi was its own world, and was so different from any place he had ever been. From the heat to the accents, it would take some time to get used too. The bus came to a stop again, and the door opened. The man observed the people who passed by, one by one. Businessmen, laborers, and women; all of whom had a different story to tell. Finally, an old woman climbed aboard. Her frail appearance and delicate features made the man sympathize. He did not give a second thought to her rich brown skin, and immediately got up. Shocked faces surrounded him.
“Here, ma’am, please take my seat”
She shook her head silently, refusing to make eye contact.
“I insist, ma’am. I do not need the seat, and it would be my plea-“
The other man next to him stood up, with a malevolent look in his eyes, and interrupted him.
“Maybe you should sit down.”
The man ignored him and moved towards the back, and the woman reluctantly sat down in his spot after a few seconds. Silence permeated throughout the bus, and no one dared to look at the old black woman or the white man. A silent rule had been broken by a foreigner who did not understand. His face was indifferent, but the sweat dripping down it said otherwise. He remained in silence until the bus had reached his stop. Just like any other day, he taught his classes, went home to his family, and went to bed; except it was not like any other day, and his morals had crossed paths with the ones of the people in his town. The man thought about his actions all night, failing to see what he had done wrong. He had offered an old woman his seat, but apparently, what is visible to others, is transparent to some.  The man only had the support of himself in this situation, and was separated from society. He eventually fell asleep, in a state of confusion.
The next morning, the man woke up again, got out of bed, and repeated the day. He went downstairs, met his children and wife in the kitchen. As they talked, the phone began to ring against the wall. The woman picked up the landline and mouthed to her husband that it was his boss. The man took the phone. As he talked with the person on the other end, his wife watched his face. He listened intently. He became angry. He was appalled. He was shocked. He had lost his job, but he was far from being upset. He set down the phone, and looked into the eyes of his wife. Her eyes were filled with tears, but she smiled at him with reassurance. News had traveled fast and his actions had resulted in something he could no longer control. Racism had won this time, but he was in no way filled with shame from what he had done the day before. He lost the respect of some, but he still smiled to himself. He had become a figure someone could look up to.