My Senior Life | Teen Ink

My Senior Life

January 27, 2016
By evanmaher SILVER, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
evanmaher SILVER, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Babababababa” the alarm clock starts ringing, and I hit snooze for the first of many times.  Another half hour goes by until the clock reads seven o’clock. At age sixty-five, I get out of bed, get changed, brush my teeth, and finally I go take a shower.  Soon after, I walk outside, and onto the beach.  Huge waves fill the ocean, and I decide to go grab my surfboard.  For an hour, until about eight o’clock I surf.  I surf the huge waves every day when there is no rain.  The waves bring me a sense of peace.  Soon after, my breakfast is a cup of coffee and some yogurt.  Once I am done, I decide that it is a nice enough day out, so I go for a run.  I run to feel the breeze and breathe the ocean air.
My age will not hold me back from doing what I want to do.  I have wrinkles on my face, which show my age and experience but I keep in strong physical shape.  Working out every day keeps me fit.  I live near the ocean because I love the water and play many water sports.  I surf, waterski and fish as often as possible.  I am now retired from my job as a construction manager.  I use what I know to help people out who cannot afford to pay someone to do repairs.  I like helping people.  The other day I was fixing the roof of a house.  The owner said, “Why do you do this work for free?  You could charge for your time.”  I said, “I spent many years charging for my time.  Now, I want to give back to help others. It makes me smile.”
Besides the beach, my other passion is my family.  My family is made up a wife and two kids who are all grown up.  I have been married for thirty-five years.  I am a lucky man.  One of my kids has two children. Being a grandfather is the best.  I get to play and care for my grandchildren.  Once, I said to my grandchild, Peter, “I have fun playing with you.”  He responded, “I love playing with you more.  I love you, papa.”  He melts my heart.
I like to challenge myself.  My next adventure is to train for a triathlon.  I know this will not be easy.  I have never done anything like this before.  I want to push myself.  Training will be demanding but I am up for the task.  The triathlon is in twelve months.  I have time to do the work.  My wife said, “Why do you want to do this, it is so much work.”  I thought about it for sometime before I answered.  I said, “I need a new challenge.  I want to move forward.  This is a way for me to prove I can to myself.  This may be the first time I am doing something only for me.”  I am not selfish but I feel it is time to focus on me for once.
I like to travel but most of all I like to travel with my family.  We pick a different spot every time.  No repeats is our motto.  Coming up in two years, we are going to go to Africa on a safari.  It will be great to see my grandkids with the animals so close.  I know it will be a long plane ride.  But it will be worth the time for the experience.  We will be there for ten days.   I love my life and do not mind aging.  It’s the experiences of everyday that make my life special.