The Dying Sun | Teen Ink

The Dying Sun

January 22, 2009
By Anonymous

Their voices were muffled, almost like they were holding pillows over their mouths. Each word seemed to transition into another, no pauses in between. It was a slight change, but I could still tell the difference in the voices. It seemed like their words were dancing in the air, keeping a tempo that felt impossible to catch up to.
There was a dim haze surrounding the street lamps. Cars raced down the road, their tiers slinging slush all along each other. I took a deep breath, the cold air raced down my wind pipe causing my body to go ridged. My hands cradled each other for warmth, my knees pulled tight against my chest. I stared up at the sky; it was turning purple and pink. The suns persuasive rays gave me a faint hope that this was all about to end.
They continued fighting inside. Their voices were full of malice, their eyes glazed over with pure rage. I knew I wouldn’t be able to stop them.
“Get out.” My mother had told me. “Get out, and don’t come back.”
It’s so cold outside, and I left without my jacket. Maybe I could go back and get it? No, there’s no going back now. I couldn’t hear their voices anymore.
My feet felt so clumsy as I treaded through to icy snow. A bitter wind stung my eyes. I followed along the road, heading deeper into a place I did not know. The amount of cars started to grow thin, and eventually I was alone. My feet sounded heavy as they slammed against the snow and pavement.
Just keep walking.
My mind was blank. The only reoccurring thought I have was the sound of their voices, dancing through the air behind that thin door.
“Get out. Get out, and don’t come back.”
The sound of tiers screeching broke my concentration.
The metal formed a cast around my body. Glass shattered into my skin like a million tiny razors, cutting their way through the flesh trying to reach the bone. There was a constant snapping noise. Then I realized it was my body, breaking. My entire body was breaking underneath the metal.
My eyes closed as my body went limp. I wasn’t aware of what was around me, but it was cold. So cold that it almost felt like I was burning. My entire body felt as if it was set a flame. I heard screaming, but the ringing in my ears seemed to tune most of it out. My eyes flashed open. There was a man and a little girl sitting next to me. The man’s face was covered in blood, but the little girl appeared to be just fine. I was lying in the snow, my blood staining its pure surface.
“I’m so sorry, I’m so sorry. God, look at what I’ve done,” He was looking down at me, tears over whelming his eyes. I looked up at the setting sun. Its beauty rained down on us, and in that moment, I knew that this was the end that it had promised me.
“It’s alright,” I gasped as the blood raced out of my mouth, “It’s alright.” I could never stay mad at the setting sun; it bathed me in its last rays of hope of the day. But the darkness started to close in, and I was shocked by its beauty.
My body suddenly felt so light, as if all of the oxygen in my body had turned into helium. This was it, and I wasn’t scared. I was ready for the sun to set and the darkness to cover me. I’m sure that their voices were still dancing through that empty house when the hospital called.