Life in 2028 | Teen Ink

Life in 2028

January 30, 2009
By Jennifer Long BRONZE, Cave Creek, Arizona
Jennifer Long BRONZE, Cave Creek, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Life in 2028


'David, I need the sloxz right now please,' I told my husband. He handed the metal tool to me and I turned to the dog. I pressed the red power button and turned the sloxz on. It started buzzing and when the wheel began to circle, I pressed it to Macy's broken leg. A sharp crack followed, placing the bone together. Now that the bone was in place, all that was left to do was seal the bone.

'How is it going Jennifer?' David interrogated.

'The bone is in place. Would you do the laser seal for me?'


'Sure,' he answered, 'should I do the full or the half?'

'The full, I don't trust this leg to heal on it's own with only the half seal. Do the full and hopefully we can save her leg,' I answered. David sauntered out of the room to get the laser seal. I looked down and saw Macy looking up at me with her puppy dog eyes. I loved working with animals, especially now that we didn't have to knock them out. You see, ever since 2015, treatments no longer were painful, but that is a long story.

Anyway, Macy was a tri-color Beagle; white, black, and brown. She recently had badly broken her leg when she was run over by a car. Since she was only two, her leg was very fragile and if we couldn't save her leg, it would have to be amputated. We would know soon enough if the seal would work.

David came back into the room carrying the seal. He pointed the laser point onto the break and almost instantly the broken bone turned into one. Now all Macy needed was time for the seal to work.

'Another leg saved, huh?' I probed.

'I guess so, good job honey. The animals must really love you,' David noted.

'Thanks, that's what, my thirtieth leg this year and don't even get me started on sicknesses that I have cured.'

'Actually,' David chuckled, 'It is your seventeenth.'

I picked up Macy and walked her to her kennel. I pressed her paw to the touch screen and the screen door opened.

'The dog that has entered is Macy. Is this correct?' I heard the machine state.

'Yes.'

'Does she need food or water?'

'Yes, let's say'.one cup of food and a bowl of water.'

'What about any medications?'

'Yes please. Please give her a half of an acepromazine now and the other half when she is done eating.'

'Is that all?'

'No,' I commented for the first time, 'please set out a sleeping mat for her to sleep on. That is all.' After that, I heard a buzzing and then a pop and all of Macy's food, water, medication, and sleeping mat were sitting in front of me. I placed the mat in the middle of the kennel and put her food next to it. 'Good night,' I whispered to Macy.

'You don't really mean 'good night' did you? It is only ten in the morning.' David had appeared in the room, standing and waiting for an answer.

'Of course not, but she really needs some sleep.' I noted.

'Well, I just got a house call. Something about a horse that is allergic to a wormer that the owners just got from the store. I guess it is an emergency call. Did you want to come?' he invited.

'Sure, why not, but what are we going to do about Amy and Sarah? Are they still with Joey? Joey just loves them. He craves the attention anyway; most friendly cat I have ever known,' I mumbled to myself.

'Yep,' David answered, 'I told Margret to watch them though.' Amy and Sarah are my two twin daughters. They are five years old and they already had a job. They came to the family vetting office every morning with David and I and they pet and feed all the sick animals treats before it was time to go to sleep or get another treatment. They loved it, the animals loved it, and I loved always being able to be with my daughters.
'Alright,' I said, 'I will go.' I followed David out of the vet office and into our car.
'I need to stop at the dump and fill this think up with gas. Do you have five bucks? We only have about ten miles left of garbage to use up,' mentioned David.
'Is garbage already up to five dollars a fill? It seems like the price is rising up everyday.'
'At least it isn't five a mile.' And, come on, even you know I couldn't argue with that now could I?


Hours later, David and I were back at our house. 'Wow, long day,' whispered David.
'Aren't all of our days long?' We walked up to the door and I placed my finger onto the door finger pad.
'Commencing finger analysis,' the machine muttered. About twenty seconds later, the door opened, allowing us to enter. The living room opened up before my eyes. We had painted the interior a light tan. All the furniture was old fasion, made in 2008, but the electronics were high tech. Our TV had a program where you can pick an TV show and any episode of that show and watch it right then and there. It was the same without stereo, but it was any song.
'Are you ready to go to bed,' David questioned.
'Yep.' I continued to my room with him and laid down in the bed for the nights rest.


The author's comments:
When I grow up I really want to be a vet. When this became an assignment for English, I really put my heart into it.