The Battle

As I got rushed down the hallway, IV pole next to me, people shouting things I didn't understand, it hit me: this was real. It wasn't some cruel, twisted joke. I really did have leukemia.
The week before I had been diagnosed with leukemia. I told a few friends, only two or three, but by the next day every one knew that Samantha was dying from cancer. Honestly, I didn't care. I was too weak from my first round of chemo to care about anything. Even as I got the chemo, it didn't truly click that I, a fourteen-year-old, brunette girl, girl could be dying. Everyone else was worried, except for me. But that changed a week later.
My flashback of the week before stopped, and I was in the hallway. I wasn't really thinking about anything and at the same time, I was thinking about everything. I was barely aware of my surroundings, which, at the moment, were white hospital walls, monitors, shots, doctors, IVs, and worst of all, my incredibly strong mother crying. When my dad left us she didn't cry. When she broke her arm falling down two flights of steps she didnt cry. But now she was openly sobbing.
So as I layed there, one of the things I thought about was my dad. He left us two years ago, and last year we got a letter in the mail. He died, and left his car to me and my mom. We had to sell it last week, the last bit of my dad that I had, to help pay for the chemo.
So what I was thinking about him was whether he went to heaven or hell. And which one I would go to. And if they even existed. Because I knew I was probably going to die within the month because the cancer had been in me for ages with no one knowing. So I was trying to plan what I would say to my dad, if I saw him. And if I went to heaven and he went to hell, I was trying to figure out wether it would be a good or bad idea to let me talk to him. Because even though he left us, even though he made me so upset I had started slitting my wrists after he left, I love him.
So I will have to say goodbye to my mom and friends, and maybe hello to my dad. But the one thing I already decided was not to be upset about probably dying. Because I would leave a good mark on the world. Well, at least my friends at my high school, whom I had made laugh so many times.
Now I can tell I'm at the end. It has been four weeks since I found out I have cancer, my mom never leaves my room, and they let me go home. They aren't making me do chemo. I am too weak to move. I guess there is only one thing to say: Goodbye, and maybe, hopefully, hello.

buddy said...
its was awsome

Summer__:)This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sept. 8, 2009 at 7:43 pm :
tank u veryy muchoo =]

jimboslice said...
summer this is uber awesome keep on doing what you do=]

Sept. 8, 2009 at 7:45 pm :
thanxxx jimmy

luvsxtoxshopxx said...
Thatss amazing summer

jasmineee said...
thiss is really goodd.! youu shouldd read this to ms manuppelli! she woulddd be very touched (:

jenn said...
wow this is so good and well written! keep on writing!

suttbutt2012 said...
This was really good! I really liked the thought put into the whole thing. If you were submit this to an actual publishing company to put in a book, I would probably add a little bit more description to the heavy stuff. It was a great story and I really enjoyed reading it.

killthepzr said...
Love it summer!!!!!!!!!1

brunette3913 said...
aww this is sad, but in a way almost good, because the narrator sounds so hopeful. i liked how she had accepted that she was going to die soon, and i think the last sentence of the story was great.

ill pray for your teacher! :) keep writing summer.

Sept. 8, 2009 at 7:46 pm :
yay the last sentence was my fave part !

emmILYxo said...
Feb. 24, 2009 at 9:24 pm:
summer, this was great! very well written and descriptive!!! <33

summer said...
Feb. 23, 2009 at 9:55 pm:
hey im the author. please comment so i know what people think, i can so use critisism. and rememvber, you DONT have to be a member of teenink to comment!!!!