Moving On | Teen Ink

Moving On

January 5, 2016
By Skyler.rawr SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Skyler.rawr SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and leave the world wondering how you did it".


     I looked at my parents in horror as they told me the news. I asked them to repeat it, to make sure I heard them correctly. The more they said those three words, the more reality hit.  After being accustomed to this house for my entire life, I’d have to readjust. I asked them to repeat it one more time, just so it can sink in. How would I tell my friends at school?
     “We’re moving sweetheart.”
     How would I be able to tell Sam?

~~~

     “Be sure to tell Mar I said bye,” I heard Sam say, his voice fading away. He’s going to be gone for a month, and you’re not going to speak to your boyfriend that stuck with you for almost a year? I contemplated then grabbed my bunny slippers and ran downstairs. The sound of his mother’s BMW started up, and I tried to run faster, yet everything seemed to happen in slow motion. Almost breaking my front door, I rushed to my front yard, only to see the car drive away.
     “Wait!” I shouted. “Sam!”
     No answer.
     “Sam…” I sniffled.
     The car turned left, leaving my heart crushed.
     I landed on my knees and started sobbing on the sidewalk. My mocha skin was turning paler. My dark brown eyes were bloodshot from rubbing them. I screamed his name one more time, but all that replied was silence. He's gone, and I didn't even get to say goodbye. I collected myself and walked inside climbing back in my pale-white bed, feeling defeated. Suddenly, my window vibrated, like something hard made contact with it. I looked through it and saw him standing in my backyard, juggling rocks.
     “Mar, you in there?”
     His hazel eyes examined my window, trying to find my face.  I power walked out of my baby blue room to my forest-like backyard and stared at him. I pushed my wavy, jet black hair behind my ear, since I didn't know what else to do. He stared at my face and smiled, instantly recognizing me. His dimples pierced his cheek, and I couldn't help but giggle at his excitement. I ran up to the six-foot-one boy and jumped on him. His soft, tan arms wrapped around my back as I cried into his shoulders.
     “I thought you left,” I stuttered while blushing, “because I saw your mom’s car drive away. It made me think that you were mad at me or something.”
     “Oh. I don’t know why you would think that. I went back in my house to make sure I didn’t leave anything. I originally was going to just leave, but then it made me wonder if it was the right choice. I changed my mind and decided to stay a little longer because I would never leave without saying goodbye,” he held my chin to make sure I knew he was sincere,  “and by the way, I was going to keep throwing rocks until you answered.”
     He laughed the laugh I would never get tired of. The kind of laugh that makes a person want to crack more jokes to hear that laugh. As I was welcomed by this embrace, a dark thought crossed my mind. You’ve hidden this secret for a month now. You’re going to have to tell him sooner or later. I felt guilty as I wiggled out of his arms, and landed on the grass. I was grateful that I was able to see him one last time, despite my face being wet from tears and not being able to see him for a month.
     "She was getting herself some girl necessities before she dropped me off to music camp,” he said nonchalantly.
     “I’m going to miss you, Mar,” he said while making me stand up. He planted his lips on my forehead, which made my contrite head feel worse.
     “Wait, Sam,” I said unsteadily, “I want to… say something.”
      Sam sat down on the grass and looked up at me. His eyes made it so hard to concentrate. What would happen if he started crying Mar? You wouldn’t be able to handle it. I shook my thoughts away and took a deep breath.
     “Sam… I-” I swallowed, “I thought I'd be the first one to tell you...”
     "Tell me what?” he said, showing off his perfect white teeth.
     Breathe Mar. “I'm moving.”
     As I finished that sentence, tears appeared in his eyes.