The Galaxy Puzzle | Teen Ink

The Galaxy Puzzle

By 7gundrum GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
7gundrum GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

A puzzle sprawled out on the fuzzy green carpet. Pieces compiled of space and stars… as well as laughter and smiles. Me, Bekka, and Cole’s sarcasm fill the room like breath blown into a giant balloon. Using our humor in the slyest ways possible, we highlight our evident differences. Saying things that would be offensive to anybody else. But we really aren’t like the rest of our peers, or like each other. We’re not three peas in a pod, we’re three unique snowflakes drifting about in the middle of July. Occasionally I manage to get two pieces of the puzzle to connect and my two friends say that I am the best at making puzzles. Wisecracks are the foundation of our friendship.
Truthfully, Bekka’s not a funny person. Some people possess humor and others have the capability to be funny. She’s more like a praying mountain lion waiting for the perfect opportunity to say something to make us laugh. Bekka cracks a joke probably as often as she goes to church, but when she does, I fall to my knees laughing as if I’m about to pray. And Cole’s quick. His snooty remarks come at you like the zebra print snap slap bracelet I had back in 2006. His words wrap snuggly around an individual, like a prickly christmas sweater.  Cole’s best at showcasing someone's personality, by describing them opposite as they really are. His humor gives him glasses like mirrors at a carnival, where your head appears to be distorted and on the ground. And I reside with a small pocket of funny phrases. My personality itself is quite comical without really trying. I know just the right things to say to Bekka to make us all laugh hysterically. And if Cole’s remarks are a three point shot, my responses are the game-winning rebound.
We all have an endless amount of jokes and jabs toward each other. But we also have an endless amount of love toward each other. Remarkably we all fit together like a silly, pointless puzzle. We’ve got rough edges and parts that don’t truly align. But in an entire galaxy of people, they’re my north star.

The intention was to write about a trait that is shared between people, while injecting as many styliistic devices as possible. I wrote this about me and my two best friends, and about how our differnt senses of humor make us fit like a puzzle.