I got a bad grade | Teen Ink

I got a bad grade

By Mariekitty BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Mariekitty BRONZE, Cupertino, California

“What! A C?”
“WOOHOO an A minus!”
“Phew a B.” These words echoed through the language arts classroom as Lauren was patiently waiting for her test score at her desk. A paper landed face down right in front of her. Slowly, she turned it over to see the letter C written in red across the paper.
“What!?” these words escaped her mouth before she knew what she said. She clapped her hand over her mouth. Breathing heavily, Lauren took a look over her test, page by page. ‘Oh Darn’ she thought ‘I spelled ambidextrous wrong when creating examples of skills.’
“Lauren, your spelling needs to improve especially if you are going to use extra special words when describing characters. I only asked you to describe him; you could have not used that word.” Mr. Meyers was looking over her shoulder with his irritated face all tensed up. As he sighed “sympathetically”, his bright blue t-shirt pulled up to reveal a part of his stomach. A few kids giggled at the hairy image.
“Mr. Meyers but please, give me the points. It’s only um... one word, and… and… it didn’t disrupt the meaning of this question. And for the other question I...I… used x marks instead of check marks for the select all that apply section and you marked it all of, you knew what I…” Lauren  pleadingly stammering on every word.
“I do not chose your grade, I only write what you earned,” Mr. Meyers quoted. He loved quoting, as he knew that it dreadfully irritated his students, in which he found joy in. He also found joy in visually “amusing” his children by wearing weird clothes, that included interesting combinations such as the neon blue t-shirt, too tight skinny jeans, and hot pink bow tie he was wearing today.
Lauren bit her lip and sighed. Holding back her tears was hard. ‘Oh, I better not cry. This was the worst grade I ever got and ever will get, she thought.  She was sure of that. She took out her notebook intended for noting on grades, and wrote down the following plan:
-Go to room 1120 and tell Samantha what happened, ask for help
-Create new plan depending on situation
-Go to office and ask Mr. Stevens for help
-Go to Mr. Meyer’s class and talk to him
“What’s up Lauren, sad that you got a 102% percent or somethin’?” Mike teased smiling.
“Oh, Shut up! My grades are none of your business.” Lauren replied.
“Oooh. Being sassy! That’s a new thing for Lauren Brooks! I thought such nerds can’t be sassy!” Sarah and her group of jerks burst of giggling, though inside they knew what a genius Lauren was and treated her with respect. Otherwise, she was a bit jealous of her blue-gray eyes and golden blonde hair. Well, Sarah was the sassy one, as well as the pink and sparkly one. Don’t forget the girly one, of course. “Did not getting like 200% make you the queen of sass?”
“What did you get?!” Allan nosed in, twisting his head, eyes, and body in all directions to see the score.
“Guys, please give me a break. What I got is my business and no one else’s,” Lauren replied. ‘Phew’ she thought, ‘now they’ll leave me alone. Well, hopefully.’
DDDDINGG! DDDDDING! As the bell echoed through the room all the kids picked up their backpacks and headed towards the gray door at full speed. LUNCH TIME.
“I didn’t dismiss you. The bell doesn’t dismiss you, I do.” Mr. Meyers quoted as all the children headed back towards their desks disappointed. In five seconds of time Mr. Meyers said haughtily, “Now you’re excused.”
Hurryingly, Lauren walked towards room 1120, which was on the other side of the school from room 560. The scorching September sun was burning her calves as she ran. The breeze was pushing the dust against her, making her squint. Coming up to the room, she began to make up a hazy image of Samantha cheerily chatting with her teacher.
‘Oh great,’ Lauren thought sarcastically, ‘Now I’ll also spoil her day.’ Lauren sighed.
“Hey Laury, wassup?” Samantha greeted her.
“Don’t call me that and the sky is up,” Lauren replied.
“Ooh, someone’s grumpy,” Samantha continued cheerily, “What’s up, like really, this time.”
“Ugh, Mr. Meyer’s is a dumb idiotic human, who can’t tell correct from incorrect and fair from unfair.” Lauren said as though she practiced this line many times.
“ ‘ve waiting from someone smart to say that. ‘course he is. I know you, you don’t complain ‘bout this sort of things. What did he do this time?” Samantha asked as though Mr. Meyers was some sort of rebel second grade. She was an eighth grader, 5’9”, with rusty hair, and the spirit of a rebel.
“He.. he.. gave me a b-b-bad grad-de.” Lauren stammered. She bit her lip to hold back her tears.
“What didja get?” Samantha asked.
“A ‘C’. ” Lauren showing her the test. Samantha, reached down and flipped through the papers.
“The heck! For spelling a super hard word that he himself doesn’t know how to spell word wrong?! For using x’s instead of checks!? The word was extra and it doesn’t deserve the whole grade off. Let’s go tell ‘im what a jerk he is right into his face! He deserves it.” Samantha said.
“No look at my plan. Please follow it,” Lauren insisted making pleading eyes. She showed Samantha her plan. Samantha nodded at her plan approvingly.
“Fine, but…” Samantha sighed. She knew Lauren’s eyes were telling her a flat no at whatever she was planning to say.
“Let’s go then!” Lauren says as they both walk to the school office.
“Yes, yes, I understand but according to the PE teacher…” the secretary paused to listen to the voice, inaudible to the girls, coming out of the phone, "I told you, the PE teacher said that your child clearly has a concussion from yesterday when he was sent home,” she paused again, “Sorry, the school cannot deal with this, come pick him up. Bye.” The secretary slammed down the phone.
“Well, hello Lauren, what brings you here? And you are…” the secretary greeted them.
“Samantha, or Sam. And Lauren here needs to see the principal this instant or we’ll barge into his office and get ‘im ourselves,” Samantha replied rudely.
Shocked, the secretary looked at Lauren for an explanation.
“Well, I have this issue…” Lauren started, “basically, I have to see the principal about it.”
“Well, what is the issue. Anything you can tell the principal you can tell me,” she said.
“Tell you? That’s a new one. What’s up Lauren, and how about you Samantha? C’mon in into my office,” Mr. Stevens interrupted the secretary at mid speech. He was a friendly guy, and always sided with students.
“Would it be better if we stepped outside?” Lauren inquired.
“Why sure,” he said opening the door, “and we can have a nice walk, right?”
“Well,” Lauren started as they went outside, “Mr. Meyers gave me an unfair C, and look at my test. None of the questions, or anything worth points is wrong. So please, can you help me fix it?”
“That’s Mr. Meyer’s what did you expect?” Mr. Stevens asked. “Of course I’ll help you, that idiot needs a kick in the… Oh, I better not say that aloud. Stop crying, dear. ” Lauren hasn’t realized the amount of tears spilled on her shirt as she asked for help and was very surprised by how wet it was. She kicked the small pebble next to her to relieve her stress. If she didn’t do that she would explode and the calm breathing wasn’t helping.
“So what are we going to do? Like, burst in into his class?” Samantha asked.
“Well, we’ll talk to him CALMLY that’s for sure,” Lauren said almost sarcastically.
“Actually, I’ve been thinking that we introduce the situation to him and if agrees to change it than, everything is fine, but if he doesn’t I’ll talk to him privately. I’m very sorry Sam, but I think it would be a better idea for you to not walk in,” Mr. Stevens said.
“WAIT WHAT!!??? THAT’S NOT FAIR!! PLEASE LET ME GO IN I’LL BE QUIET! I SWEAR!!!” Samantha said upset.
“Fine, fine, but I really hope you keep your promise.” Mr. Stevens said.
“Fine,” Samantha muttered under her breath. It was very hot outside, even for a California September, and the JLS office was far away from room 560, the room of Mr. Meyers.
Mr. Stevens knocked on the dull gray door. The door fiercely opened as Mr. Meyers stepped outside smiling.
“Hello, what brings you here, my dear friends?” Mr. Meyers asked, smiling like an idiot. Samantha rolled her eyes, snorting as he followed them inside.
“Mr. Meyers,” Lauren starts, “you have been a wonderful teacher throughout this year so far, however, I have a… ”
“Get to the point, already,” Mr. Meyers rudely interrupted.
“As I was about to say, I have a concern about my test grade. I think..” Lauren continued.
“What you think doesn’t matter. Only what you know does,” Mr. Meyers quoted.
“I know, that I got the questions correct, and you knew what I mean, so please, change my grade to a more f-” Lauren was again interrupted at mid sentence.
“You want an F? Why sure. By the way, your grammar is absolutely disgusting. A F!!” Mr. Meyers said half mockingly. His face was turning into a red chili pepper and so was his spirit. With his fists clenched and teeth gritted all he wanted  was to make the three shut up.
“YOU KNOW WHAT” Samantha shouted, “YOU ARE A JERK, A CLOWN, AN IDIOT, A MORON WHO TREATS CHILDREN WITH NO RESPECT AT ALL FOR ANYONE. GIVE HER AN A, LIKE THE A SHE DESERVES, YOU SELFISH GIT! YOU THINK IT’S FUN TO TORMENT KIDS AND GIVE THEM GRADES WORSE THAN WHAT THEY DESERVE!! HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU GIVEN BOTH ME AND OTHER CHILDREN GRADES THAT ARE TWICE AS BAD AS WHAT THEY DESERVE. UGHH!!”
“Samantha, dear, calm down, can you and Lauren step outside for a second while I talk to Stan here?” Mr. Stevens suggested. In his stern yet friendly gaze, it was visible that he was hoping for the best.
“IT’S NOT LIKE I WANT TO HAVE THE SIGHT OF THIS INHUMANE CREATURE!!!” All angry, Samantha stomped out of the classroom, as Lauren followed calmly. It wasn’t pleasant outside due to the weather, but anything is better than the classroom of that jerk. As they stapped away from the classroom the sun seemed to pounce upon them with every step.
Back in the dull classroom Mr. Stevens was giving Mr. Meyers a this-time-has-come look. Mr. Stevens was planning to give this lecture to Mr. Meyers ago, but always made excuses to avoid him, such as giving him another chance.
“Stanley. May I call you Stan? I’ve been waiting to tell you this a long time, now,” Mr. Stevens said, “but you have to be fair. You know, my friend, from your class more than any other I have been getting unfair grade complaints, as well as requests to get you fired.”
“Why, haven’t you fired me already, if you’re so keen?” Mr. Meyers inquired. “Also, you may not call me Stan.”
“Well, the thing is I have ignored many of these requests trying to give you another chance, and I have warned you before in our meetings, haven’t I?” Mr. Stevens continued. Hiding his hands behind his back he clenched his fists to let out the anger.
“What brings you here this time, huh!? It doesn't seem as though, anything is the difference,” Mr. Meyers replied monotonously.
“Well, you see, your student Lauren, never has gotten such bad grades before today.” Mr. Stevens started before being rudely interrupted.
“It’s not my fault she was so stupid when taking the test. All Laurens are stupid, that’s why I divorced my wife. Her name was LAUREN. I think it’s in the genes of anyone named that to be stupid. She earned what she got, and don't you think I’m going to change it,” Mr. Meyers said forcefully.
“But when I looked at her test there was nothing wrong. You just give unfair grades. You don’t care about anything, I will fire you if you don;t give ALL your students a fair grade by tonight. No exclusions!! I’m fed up with complaints about your horrific teaching. Chose either you get fired or you become fair tonight!!” Mr. Stevens grew louder and louder with every word. The word tonight was heard by many students eating near the classroom.
“You think I care about that choice?” Mr. Meyers asked. “I’m telling you the only reason I even bothered to teach was so that I could torment the students. Well, of course I’m not including that my job is what make me live, due to the money it provides.
“So what do you chose? Tell me NOW!!” Mr. Stevens said angrily.
“Blah, Blah, Blah, stay of course. You think I can earn money in another way?” Mr. Meyers smirked. Mr. Stevens nodded approvingly at his choice and stepped outside into the scorching sun.
“Samantha! Lauren!” he shouted. “Come here!” The two girls ran up to him, and Lauren gazed up at him wonderingly. She was almost out of hope.
She was always confident and calm but this just wasn’t her day. ‘Nor,’ she thought, ‘will anything be okay again. I just give up.’
“You got it, an A, or I’ll fire him,” he said, smiling.
“Thank you so much!!” Lauren said all relieved. She was in pure shock and froze her jaw dropped open.
“Lauren, you’ll swallow a crow. Shut your mouth,” Samantha commented. Turning to Mr. Stevens she said, “Thanks, for giving him a kick in the rear. I’ll be back in a sec.” Samantha ran off towards Mr. Meyers classroom. Her red-brown rusty hair looked like flames in the sunshine and her green eyes like emerald. She opened the gray door and stepped in.
“What you else do you want?” growled Mr. Meyers. After all of this, he was tired of being like this. Never before has he felt so devastated and for the first time a bit ashamed. ‘What does this rude girl want with me?’ he thought.
Samantha stuck out her tongue at him and left classroom.
“What did you do?” Lauren asked as they walked down the hallway.
At that Samantha imitated opening a door and made a face to pretending to be Mr. Meyers.
“What do you want?” she said in a mocking voice.
“At that, I stuck out my tongue and left like a boss,” she boasted proudly.
“Really?!” Lauren asked sarcastically. The bell chimed through the hallways echoing in the girl's’ ears. They hugged each other goodbye and ran off giggling, in different directions.

I long wanted to write an interesting narrative and publish it yet never had the chance. When at school we were told to write a narrative I wanted to make it perfect but didn't have any ideas. Suddenly, that idea of perfection gave me something I could write about. This idea grew when as I crafted the story around this prompt.