Teenage Disaster | Teen Ink

Teenage Disaster

By conner haygen BRONZE, Flower Mound, Texas
conner haygen BRONZE, Flower Mound, Texas

I wish I never would have drunk. It would have changed my life for the better. I feel guilty for my actions. I am a criminal.

It happened when I was only sixteen. I thought I had everything. I was the most popular person in the school until that horrible crash happened. I regret what I did, and I take responsibility for my stupid actions. That boy would have been fine if I just listened to anybody.

It was an eerie night. My friends and I were out at the gargantuan boat. The booze and cigarettes were making us just a little wild. We were cruising through the dark blue ocean. There was no way we would be able to see land until we were right up into it.

Everyone started to become tired. I was still as wild as a banshee. They all told me to calm down and take it easy, because they did not want the police to find us. I was a daredevil, so I did the unthinkable. I jumped off the boat and swam to shore. I found my candy-apple red 1985 corvette in the pitch black abyss. I couldn't see anything. I have been down this road so many times, so I thought I could follow the road by heart. After thirty miles through the pitch black trail, I finally made it back onto the highway. There were about 25 hotels right in a row. I think that was an omen for what was about to come. I was selfish, and wanted to go home instead. I thought I was immortal.

I felt hammered. I was flat-out drunk. I could hardly see anything on this road. My car was going forty miles per hour over the speed limit. I should have noticed that. Before I knew it, I was asleep at the wheel! My car swerved into an oncoming 1981 baby blue Cadillac. I was knocked unconscious for a few seconds. I woke up tasting blood in my mouth. The smell of a busted engine made its way to my nostrils. I felt the mangled metal of the car. The ripped leather was pressing up against my back. The white airbag hit my face with such an impact I lost three molars. The next thing I knew, I woke up in a hospital, hurt.

I was told that I broke four of my ribs, and fractured my jaw and tibia. It would take me two months to fully recover, and then I would go to trial. The car I hit had a dad and his boy in the car, and the boy was paralyzed from the waist down. The dad was left unharmed. I felt cold, and my heart turned to stone.

I ended up going to court after I recovered. I was convicted of driving while intoxicated (D.W.I.), and attempted manslaughter. They sentenced me to pay a fine of on $100,000, and go to jail for six to ten years. It was tragic. I had just realized that my life was over. There would be no college for me, and all of my friends would move on. I would be left alone on the cruel world. My parents claimed that I wasn't even their son. They were embarrassed of me.

When I came out of jail, I wished I could have redone that one night. It would have changed my whole entire life if I had just said no. Don't give into peer pressure. It will come back in the end and tear you limb from limb.

on Feb. 21 2009 at 2:52 pm
blondie101 SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada
so good, and so true! amazing! nice workd. can't wait to read more of urs! :D