Airplane | Teen Ink

Airplane

By baythebae GOLD, Lincoln, Nebraska
baythebae GOLD, Lincoln, Nebraska

"I came, I saw, I conquered." -Julius Caesar

This is only a snip it of what happens in a plane crash. Rob has to go on a journey after losing his mother, this 6 year old has to go on an epic adventure. Will he make it?

Chapter 1: The crash

As the plane plummeted to the ground, I gripped my soft red velvet seat, squishing my eyelids together, maybe when I wake up, it would all be a dream. I open my eyes one at a time, to see this was indeed not a dream, but a reality nightmare. I rotate my head to see mothers holding their children, like a lioness protecting its cub, and as fathers grasp their wives’ hands, praying, hoping, daydreaming this would turn out okay. Like a flash it was over, the scattered pieces of the plane, crashed onto a desolate mountain.
The smoke rose from the engines, and the nose of the plane; fire glazed the wings and trees around it.
“Rob, where are you!?” I heard a familiar voice scream.
“Mommy, where are you!?” I pushed, and shoved people, broken, and burning things.
As I come up to a strange looking wing; I see my mother filled with terror, as she knew what was going to happen.
“Mommy!” I was too late the smoke, the fire, the pressure drowned my mother.
I stand as my mother’s golden hair softly falls in front of her silvery eyes that could comfort any living thing she looked at. The energetic life that once dwelled in her, dimmed away. Tears glazed my face as I held her hand.
“Mommy…” I cried, “Please come back, I need you.”

Chapter 2: The woman

A hand grabbed my shoulder. I pull away quickly, because I wasn't prepared for anyone to touch me now. 

"Don't worry child, I is a good person. Yes I is..." A giant African American woman stood over me.

"Who are you?" I sniffled.

"Who is I? Who is I!? Child, you live under a rock?" She put her hand on her hip.

"No ma'am." I wiped my nose on my sleeve, leaving a trail of mucus.

She obviously had seen me, because she gave me a handkerchief, and her coat.

"Won't you get cold?" I shivered.

"Honey, I got enough blubber for the both of us." She threw her head back and cackled.

"Miss... You never told me your name." I shook with confusion.

"Y'all really don't know do you? My name be mrs. Gardeninghem. Or at least I used to be. My husband be dead for the longest of times. Three years worth bein’ in the heavens… I suppose y’all can call me Ashanti,” she grabbed me, “Child I knows how y’all feel, please from the lord in the heavens don't cry.”

She hugs me, but with her “blubber” she squished me.

Chapter 3: Confrontation

"It is okay child... Auntie Ashanti be here to help y'all." Ashanti dried away my tears.

I sniffled, she hugged me even more. Feeling the warmth of her reminded me of my mother, I sobbed even harder. Our knees collided to the earth. 

"Baby, it gonna be okay." She stroked the back of my head. 

I just couldn't help myself, I had to cry... I mean for god's sake I just lost my mother!

"Why are you trying to help me." I tried to escape her grasp.

"You know child, I have been..." She started to say.

"My name is Rob." I crossed my arms.

"And y'all got an attitude to go with the name I see." She mimicked my actions, as if she were a mirror.

"I'm sorry, Ashanti... It has been a very long day, and I hardly even know you." As soon as I said that, she broke down into tears.

I rushed to her, putting my hand on her shoulder, she put her big sausages on top of mine.

"Child, how can y'all forget me? I means I be the one who helped raised you. You must of got a concussion there on y'all's head." She touched my forehead.

I jerk back, because to be honest it hurt like heck! Maybe she was right, wait how did I even get here again? I hardly remember, I remember a plane, my mother dying, and nothing else.

Chapter 4: The hike

"Hold on you are my nanny?" I scratched my head.

"Yes child, that's why I know y'all so well. It is hard to remembers all the goods times we had. I knows, because I had multiple concussions, when I was y'all's age." Ashanti threw her large head back and cackled. 

He lips, the color of Crimson didn't even looked a tad messy. Her eyes the softest chocolate brown; her hair was short almost like a bob. Why could I not remember her? She looked familiar. 

"Here child take this." She handed me a bottle of water.

Then it hit me. I remember her!

"Ashanti!" I hugged her tightly.

"What be the meaning of this child!?" She hugged me back surprised.

"I remember... I remember you..." As tears of joyous love washed over my face she pulled away.

"Okay everyone cut! That's a wrap! Good job guys. Especially you Johnny, nice emotions!" 

Chapter Notes:

Nice plot twist right?