Are We There Yet? | Teen Ink

Are We There Yet?

By teadragons GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
teadragons GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

The drive there is cold and empty. Rain splatters the window, dripping down like tears on the glass. Lana’s nose is pressed up against the chilly surface, trying her best to see out of it. There is only a gentle blur, just foggy enough that no specific shapes can be seen.
She slumps back into the seat, letting out a puff of air. It was so boring here and Lana wasn’t too sure where she was going.
“Dad, are we there yet?” she asks, wriggling in her seatbelt. It restrains her uncomfortably, preventing her from bouncing around like she usually does.
“Not yet, Lana. Just wait a little longer, okay?” Her father doesn’t turn to face her.
She pouts but says nothing, at least for the next several minutes. Lana plays with the buttons on her navy raincoat, rubbing their glossy surfaces. Pretty soon, she is pestering her father again.
“Daaaad, where are we going?”
Her dad sighs, exasperated. “Lana, please, be patient, okay? It’s a surprise.” He turns and gives her a grin accompanied by a thumbs-up.
The events that happen next occur in a blur. There is the screeching of tires and a scream, the groan of metal on metal, the high-pitched shriek of shattering glass. Lana is thrown against her seatbelt, the strap digging into her stomach. Her head slams against the driver’s seat, knocking her out instantly.
For her father, it’s all over in a matter of seconds.