My Sister and I | Teen Ink

My Sister and I

My Sister and I
By: McKay Bolden
My name is Sarah and I am 15 years old. I live in Los Angelos, California and attend a great school. You could say that I am a perfectionist. I try to make sure everything is in line in my life so that there is as little stress as possible. Most people say I make a lot of things look easy, like school, making new friends, and staying close to my family as a teenager. There is only one problem. My sister gets in the way of that perfect life I have in my mind and makes things harder for me. In fact, she is my twin.
Surprisingly, my sister and I are very different. She is more athletic than I am, while I am more artistic. She is aggressive, while I am calm. I have a bubbly personality, while she is candid. I can be self-absorbed, while she is humorous and could care less about what people think about her. The one thing we have in common though is that we are very competitive. Everything we do together is like a challenge and we are playing for the prize of being better than the other. More problems seem to arise because of this.
I remember when our basketball team was in the championship game for the Jaguars. My sister was playing point guard for our team, and I was playing forward. She was averaging about 10 points that game and I had only averaged 5. On top of that, I was making terrible passes. It wasn’t my best game day. I kept pushing myself to do better and even tried to make my sister look bad by tripping her so I would look better. That didn’t help my team and it was only costing us the game. My coach noticed my behavior and my sister’s playing and took us both out of the game. As we were on the bench, all the crowd could hear was our bickering and fighting and saw our true colors as sisters. By the end of the game, we had lost, and our team left in disappointment.

I know what I did was wrong and my selfish behavior didn’t help anyone nor do anything for me. The worst part is that I got so caught up in being better than my sister that I let down my team. So I began to realize that this is my sister and our differences should never come between us. I should be happy to have her as my sibling, despite how competitive we are or how many times we might argue on who’s right and what’s wrong. Our differences should make us closer. We might have more in common than we think!