Photographs | Teen Ink

Photographs

Losing something you love always hurts. I don’t care what it is. It could be an old teddy bear, a baseball card collection, or maybe an expensive necklace. The hurt when you lose your best friend and the love of your life is no different. I know that pain and it is different for each and every person.

I remember back when we were young. She was my sanity. When my mother got drunk and threw me out at age 15, guess whose family took me in? I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss Sandy. Sandy Kane was always the most beautiful woman I’d ever met. I miss those dark green eyes and her long dark brown curls. She was my first and only true love. Heck, I even miss her strange fear of wasps.

Back in highschool, Sandy Kane and Jeffery Hunter were the hottest couple around. Now I’m just a 64 year old man sitting in an old rocking chair. The twinkle is gone from my light brown eyes. My medium brown hair grayed long ago. I can still feel her all around me. That’s all I have now; that and these old photographs.

The pictures are old and fading. I look at them a lot these days. There’s just one picture that always brings tears to my eyes. I find the old photograph of this same porch when it was brand new. Sandy and I were newlyweds back then. The paint was fresh and thois rocking chair was brand new. I just wish that these photographs held everything else that my fading memory is beginning to let go.

I sigh and walk inside. I have no grandchildren or even children of my own. That druck driver made sure of that. He took my Sandy’s life. He took his own life too. This was only a few years after we bought this house. The yellow house the blue shutters; the house Sandy had dreamed of since she was a little girl. The place itself is huge, but empty. There’s no love to fill these walls anymore.

Honestly, I’m not sure why I never moved out. All I need is a bed to sleep in and food to eat. Where would I go? It’s just me and them old photographs in here. So I sigh once more and pick up another box of pictures. I guess it’ll always just be me and you…

This will certify that the above work is completely original, Ashley Hamm.