For Him | Teen Ink

For Him

By A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey
A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey

"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
-Emily Bronte

"A shadow is the most loyal friend."
-Amanda Marcus

Her eyes met his across the room, setting him ablaze in a way he wanted to call pleasurable, but it was nothing compared to Robbie’s kind stares.  Alexandria Lennox’s scrutinizing glare lit up as she noticed Blake was staring back.  She didn’t recognise him, not one bit, but she knew he was going to be her next play thing.
“Hey handsome,” she called with a peppy smile that was so unlike the smiles that Robbie had that appeared to be hiding a secret.  “Come sit with the cool kids!  Introduce yourself!  Don’t be shy!”  Never had Bake expected that.  This is what he wanted, though.  This was the reason Robbie had agreed to help him change.  He wanted a shot with Alex; a shot at being popular.  But now, as he felt his confidence wavering, he found himself seeking Robbie and her ever present and available comfort.  “Don’t be shy!”
Robbie walked into the lunchroom, smiling and laughing with Cameron at her side, stopping dead when she realized what was going on.  Cameron, ever the caring one, slung his arm around her glaring form, questioning her gently.  A sense of burning hatred and jealousy burned through Blake at Cameron’s actions, forcing his courage to return as he swaggered over to the populars, smugly noticing how Robbie’s eyes widened comically. 
“What’s your name, cutie?”
“Blake, Blake Cage,” he said confidently.  The entire group gaped when they heard the name.  They had ridiculed Blake Cage.  Blake Care was a nerd, a loser.  This boy…  This man was no Blake Cage.
“Blake?”  Robbie’s voice was so small, so fragile as she stood behind him, Cameron no doubt by her side.  She was still wearing her glasses most likely, since Blake still had her contact lenses in his bag.  Blake didn’t dare look back at her, but it was clear that Alex did.  She pecked Blake’s lips quickly, as if it were nothing, stunning him and eliciting a gasp from Robbie.
“Robin!  What’s with the nerd-wear?  Guess you can’t talk to us anymore, especially this cutie here.  Can’t have your nerd germs rubbing off on him,” Alex snorted.  She glared at the girl.  “Blake is mine now and I don’t want you to corrupt him with your… you-ness.  Now, ta ta love!”
Finally, Blake did look back.  He looked just in time to see Robbie let out a choked sob and run out, no doubt to the abandoned music room she loved so much.  Cameron soon followed, sending a murderous glare, making sure to glare daggers at Blake.   The entire group chuckled in response, waving the choir boy off, all except for Blake, who continued to stare after the two.
“Welcome to the populars, Blake Cage,” Kenny, one of the football players in the group, snickered.  Blake only continued to start at the now empty cafeteria doorway that Robbie had exited through as Alex draped herself over him.
He had done the one thing he had never wanted to do.  He lost his only true friend.  He lost Robbie Jenner.